Tuesday, March 10, 2015

A COMPLETE DAY

From sunrise to sunset -- what a day.

First of all, sunrise happens on my way to work.  What used to be 5:45 a.m. is now 6:45 a.m., and it's damn dark when I leave the house.  The sunrise breaks wide open by the time I'm at work eight miles later.  It's gorgeous, fantastic even.  Still, it's a little depressing.

Then, after work we have two meetings, and both meetings get dicey.  Okay, I voice an opinion that makes sense to everyone but administration, so I guess I'm not a team player anymore.  Oh, wait.  I never was a team player.  Well, no loss for me then.  I stay and chat business with the union president, and then it's eight miles home again.  Oh, sure, I have major errands to run, but I'm not running them.  I'll do it tomorrow (says Scarlett O'Hara).

The sun is already getting low in the sky when I get home, even though it's "earlier" because of the time change on Sunday.  That's how bloody long my day has become.  I debate chopping the remaining ice from the walkway.  Nah; it's going to be in the fifties by Wednesday (before it snows again Saturday, of course.)

I check out the roof over the kitchen, the part of the house where the snow pack worried me until most of it slid off the house and scared the crap out of me last week.  The icicles that had been melting sideways and threatening to crack windows are now gone.  GONE!  To be honest, they've merely fallen and added to the incredible two-foot deep ice jam on my patio.  It's okay.  I needed new deck chairs, anyway.

The best part, though, is the progress made to the trash cans just since yesterday at this same time.  I can now see both trash cans.  It's a miracle!  It's about damn time!  It's only been six weeks since I last saw them.  I won't be able to use them for tomorrow morning's trash, but I might, if the snow isn't too bad this weekend, be able to use them next week.  Even if it does snow, I should finally have enough space to shovel that snow to (for a change).

Who knows?  Maybe if I peek at the trash cans before sunrise when I leave tomorrow, then by sunset when I get home (after running errands that I put off) I will see completely uncovered trash cans that do not need any shoveling at all.

If that were to happen, then my day, regardless of how long it seems or is, really would be complete.