Friday, March 20, 2015

THE INFAMOUS SLEEPY HOLLOW ADVENTURE: CHAPTER ONE



CHAPTER ONE – NO REST FOR THE WEARY BLADDER

The last two long trips I’ve taken have definitely been bladder busters, and I say this with a grain of truth and a huge boulder of bullshit.

When I’m taking a trip somewhere, the last thing I want to do is waste time at rest areas, but I’m happy to do so when I have to pee or when my car needs gas.  These are necessities.  When I travel alone, I often plan my breaks around the rest areas, sometimes for fun (The Johnny Appleseed rest stop – woohoo!) and sometimes out of necessity.

Like the time I drove to Burlington, VT by myself.  I planned a rest area stop just over the New Hampshire border because the rest area in Sharon, VT, has space dedicated to Vietnam Veterans.  It’s also the only rest area on the way north via route 89.  (There are no rest areas on the southbound side, just so you’re all informed.)

Another time I drove myself out to Albany, NY.  The very morning I was planning on leaving, Floyd (my uterine fibroid) decided to pay me a visit, and I had to stop at almost every rest area between home and my destination and then back again lest my car looked like Polanski’s living room.  By the way, I-90 has some extremely well-stocked rest areas, complete with multiple restaurants, lots of gas pumps, and bathrooms that could double as luxury condos.

Recently a group of us caravans to Maryland and back.  Clever us: We take an alternate route home and discover that many New York rest areas are only for show, as in “Oh, look, this used to be a place to go potty, but now it’s just a dirt-covered maze of steel girders pretending to be construction.  Totally blows to be you and your full bladder.  Better luck in Connecticut, suckers.”  We do manage to find one rest area that remains open, complete with a Dunkin Donuts, a Subway, gas pumps, and functioning toilets.  It is a sentimental moment.

My most recent adventure though, takes me out to Tarrytown, NY.  Tarrytown is on the east side of the Hudson River by the Tappan Zee Bridge.  Bordered to the south by Dobbs Ferry (my ultimate destination for the day) and by infamous Sleepy Hollow to the north, the area is rich with hidden touristy-type stuff that interests a geek like me.  I map my trip, set the GPS, and convince myself that it’s okay to drink that mug of tea since there are at least two rest areas along my route once I’ve reached Connecticut, not to mention several on the Massachusetts Turnpike.

It turns out that at least one rest stop on I-90 through Massachusetts mistakes itself for New York and has been closed.  This is very sad news to me since I pass by several other rest areas and decide not to stop.  No matter.  I’m hooking up with two other relatively major thoroughfares before I hit the “always closed and/or seasonal but not this season” rest areas of the Saw Mill River Parkway vicinity.

This concept of closing rest areas along major highways must be relatively new, and everyone seems to be doing it.  For the first time I pass more “closed” rest areas than open ones.  Yup, this is going to be one long, suck-ass ride to the Hudson River Valley.  I’m going to have to take an exit and go in search of facilities since the signs that say “food, this exit” rarely actually mean food.  More likely these signs mean “food may be detectable this exit if you drive for miles and chant the lyrics to Food, Glorious Food and pray your every-loving heart out for mercy.”  I wait until I come to an exit with the symbols for food and gas and with actual restaurant names on the sign.

Success! 

Exit 15 has both a McDonalds and a Panera.  I opt for Panera.  This, of course, turns out to be a mistake.  I drive around the multi-unit strip mall, doing large one-way circles, passing McDonalds twice with no sign of Panera anywhere.  Now not only do I have to piss, but I am pissed.  Sure, I can go to Mickey-D’s, but I am thinking maybe I want a blueberry muffin (even though I packed enough snacks and food to sustain myself for days). 

I park my car several spaces from the fast food entrance and recheck the blocks of store fronts.  I finally discover Panera across the lot, near where I entered, around the one-way signs, and under some other building.  I walk down the concrete stairs, step into the restaurant, and immediately discover that the bathrooms are not any place logical.  I have to snake through several partitions and around booths and tables and customers and am starting to feel like Theseus in the Labyrinth, except he probably didn’t have to pee, or maybe he did, which would explain why he was so ticked off at Minotaur.

One potty break and one blueberry muffin later, I am back on the road, retracing my earlier scenic tour of the one-way-only parking lot, following a giant Panera delivery truck out of the mini-mall, and then passing that same truck on the entrance ramp so I don’t get killed merging on to the highway at too slow a speed. 

I check my GPS – My original arrival time in Sleepy Hollow, set while sitting in my driveway back in Massachusetts, is scheduled for 10:41.  Since I’ve hit rainy weather but no real traffic yet, and since my brand new transponder EZ Pass actually works, the time I shave off my trip has simply been made up by the rest stop.  My ETA is now 10:39.  Apparently, peeing puts me into a time warp. 

Welcome to Connecticut, a long state to drive through, so make sure your bladder is emptied in another state because we really mean that we welcome you to continue driving.  Bye-bye, now!

Watching Southbury disappear into my rearview mirror and the fog of diminishing drizzle, I assure myself there will be no more potty breaks until well after my pre-lacrosse game sight-seeing odyssey, which is a good thing since in Connecticut there is no rest for the weary bladder.  Travelers and tea/coffee drinkers, beware.