Saturday, March 28, 2015

PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT DAY -- WHY I'M RUNNING FROM THE LAW



Oh, boy.  It’s painfully obvious why very few people are willing to sit near me during professional development activities.  But first, let me tell you a story. 

It all starts Sunday.  I spend the entire day correcting papers.  It’s my own fault – I’ve been assigning a lot of work that needs to be graded because we lost so many days to snow and because we are up against a bunch of homework-free evenings and weekends, some at the necessity of state-mandated testing and some at the whim of administration.  Term #3 is all but a giant semi-melted slush pile.  This all puts me in the start of a pissy mood.

Tuesday I lose my mind at a lacrosse game when lousy reffing contributes to the loss of one of my son’s teammates to a broken collarbone.  I have not behaved that outrageous badly at a game in years.  I am semi-ashamed of myself and semi-relieved to have partially released the stress valve on zebras (refs) I don’t know and hopefully will never see again. 

Wednesday I am up against a district-wide battle in which I have somehow become an unwilling and unwitting pawn.  This wonderful experience gives me a massive headache, bordering on a full-blown migraine.  I suck down acetaminophen tablets like they’re juju beans.

Thursday is going well until I intercept yet another battle-laden email.  Who am I kidding?  Thursday sucks all day long, and the email is just the straw that snaps my already semi-busted back.  I cancel all plans to stay late and catch up on work and/or go grocery shopping.  Bullshit.  I’m hitting the medicine cabinet again, maybe even the liquor cabinet.  Yup.  Definitely the liquor cabinet.

So, you see, by Friday, I have totally set myself up for failure and bad behavior, which brings me to today’s professional development activities.

A few weeks ago we have a presenter come in who is about as communicative as Charlie Brown’s teacher.  Today he is back!  Oh, frabjous day!  Callooh!  Callay!  Personally, I think Charlie Brown’s teacher is leaps and bounds more enriching than this guy, but he has a job to present, and by present I actually mean read wicked slowly off his own power point word for word until we are all drooling mindlessly and waiting for the nurses aides to feed us strained peas.  I am contemplating taking a nap until I realize that the principal and superintendent are standing behind me, so I bumble along, pretending to take notes while passing them to my coworker instead. 

Suddenly, the presenter perks up and starts scanning the room with his beady eyes.  “Who remembers what was written on the board the last time I was here?” 

Uh … bullshit?  Stupid crap?  Um … your resignation?  While all of these things sound good inside my head, I doubt very much that I should voice them publicly.

“It’s like stabbing in me in the heart,” he laments.  “You’re killing me.”

So, if I remember what you wrote or if I don't, that is like stabbing you in the heart?  Killing you?  “Write it again!” I say, hoping this alone will do him in because I don't know what he's talking about. 

“Oh, come on.  It’s the F-word!”

It’s the … what the … did he just say F-word?  I clamp my hand over my mouth.  I’m not going to laugh, I’m not going to laugh, I’m not going to …

(Not my hands ... Don't start with me!)
You know that sound a giant balloon makes when you hold the opening of its neck, pull it apart a bit, and the air rushes out with a giant wet-fart sound?  Well, I try, I tell you, I really and truly try.  Suddenly a noise erupts from my mouth across the silent cafeteria where we are all gathered, a sound that starts as a snort and ends up a stifled but incredibly loud guffaw.  It sounds like the air rushing out of a giant balloon neck. 

And then, well, then I start laughing.  So do several other people.  I am fully aware the superintendent is behind me, but, christalmighty, I can’t make this shit up.  One of the teachers on the other side of the cafeteria pipes in, “You shouldn’t say ‘f-word’ in a room full of middle school teachers.”

Truth.

Apparently the correct answer is fidelity.  Who knew?

The coworker next to me shakes her head.  “This guy isn’t saying anything.  Any of us could say the same thing.  He might as well be saying ‘spoon, brick, coffee pot… dialysis.’”

Another coworker a few tables over starts questioning the presenter’s fallacious statistics and data.  The coworker next to me also chimes in.  A few points later, I get involved.  Before anyone realizes it and long past the point of no return nor hope for the principal to rein it back in for the poor presenter, the three of us form the Devil’s Triangle of Professional Development Days.  If we keep at it long enough, we’ll be victorious and emerge with the gorgon’s head.

The show goes on, mwuuuhhhhhaaaahhh mwuuuuhaaahaaahaaa mwuuuuuuuuwah  Any moment Charlie Brown is going to come and sit next to me in class.

“Flower pot,” my neighbor says.  “Feather.  Lipstick.”  She’s right.  There is nothing but a series of disconnected words streaming out of this guy’s mouth.  “Candle.  Gypsum.”

Finally, hours later, the shtick wraps up, and the principal delivers the benediction with all the subtlety of Jonathan Edwards’ Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God.  She glares at me. “Well, weren’t we an ornery bunch today?”

Oh, fidelity my life. 

This, folks, this is why people won’t sit near me at professional development activities.  I try to behave, I really and honestly do, but there’s only so much bullshit a person can tolerate, especially on a Friday afternoon.  If my superiors want me to behave, we should probably have professional development on Monday mornings when I’m still semi-comatose.  I blame it all on Sunday.  If I hadn’t had to correct papers in the first place, none of this would have started.

That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it.  Unless, of course, the union intercedes; in that case, I was with you guys the entire time.  Right?