Wednesday, March 18, 2015

IN SEARCH OF MARC CHAGALL

If all goes well and my car doesn't break down and if I don't crash or get murdered at the park along the Hudson, I am going in search of two famous artists, Marc Chagall and Henri Matisse.

I know, I know.  Marc Chagall died in France in 1985, and Henri Matisse died in France in 1954, because apparently France is where all decent artists go to die.  I'm going in search of their work -- in particular, some stained glass windows.

I am searching for the Union Pocantico Church in Tarrytown.  Oh, sure, it's not the season for tours, and the church will be closed on the day of the week I'm planning on being there, anyway, but, damnit, I'm going.  I need to be about ten miles away for a sporting event, and I'd be crazy not to find this gem of an artistic masterpiece that a coworker just happened to mention.

Seriously: A church in the middle of pretty-much nowhere with stained glass windows by Chagall and Matisse.  I'll let you know how the journey goes and if my scavenger hunt yields anything spectacular.