Tuesday, March 3, 2015

TEA TIME



Tea time is my favorite part of the school day. 

I work with some awesome people.  I have been very lucky to work with the Let’s Eat Chocolate During Our Meetings team for years, but my team broke up in June.  First the science teacher went to another grade and team, then I went to another team, and by “went” I actually mean it felt more like being painfully wrenched from the arms of our comrades with neither pomp nor circumstance because, let’s be honest here, we take our chocolate time very seriously.  Very, very seriously.

Now I work with the Let’s Sip Tea and Eat Cookies During Our Meetings team.  It didn’t take me long to adapt, rapidly realizing that mint Milano cookies contain just the right amount of chocolate and that I can make up any sugar deprivation by adding honey to my tea.  I can also drink hot chocolate instead, if I prefer or am feeling particularly cranky.

The Tea Team has some pretty heavy hitters on its roster.  Before I came along with my Christmas tea and pumpkin chai and various teas of the United Kingdom, these people were hiding an arsenal of teas at their own homes before turning this into a true school sport.  These people are varsity level tea connoisseurs. 

One of the team members keeps an entire tea drawer packed full at her house.  I’m not exaggerating.  I’ve seen the tea drawer; I’ve opened the tea drawer; I’ve indulged in tea from the tea drawer.  The tea drawer is to brewing what The Louvre is to art – Sacred Ground.  There’s also the team member who brings the awesome snacks of specialty chocolate sticks and Pepperidge Farm cookies and restocks our cups and other necessities.  Most importantly is our brew master, Keeper of the Tea Pot, stocker of the team favorite pomegranate green tea and various other teas I didn’t even know existed. 

Team meeting time is akin to reaching Tea Nirvana.

I still gravitate toward the ultra-strong British tea when I can get my hands on it since I have an aversion to any tea that isn’t black nor related somehow to that which my ancestors dumped into Boston Harbor.  I like some oldies but steady teas, too, like Darjeeling, Oolong, and Constant Comment.  I like the Irish and English breakfast teas, too.  Mainly, though, I like when we steep the various choices of tea and the whole classroom in which we are meeting smells like oranges and spices and warmth.

The only days I don’t like meetings are the days we have to assemble in the main meeting room by the office, the one day in the six-day long cycle that we meet with our bosses.  That’s the day we don’t have tea together unless someone else (like the PTO) has booked the main meeting room (which we all secretly hope will happen).  When we get to hold those administrative meetings in the brew master’s room, even the administration gets to sip tea with us.  It’s all very decadent and enjoyable, or, as the Keeper of the Tea Pot refers to it, “civilized.”

I have worked with, prior to this, and do work now with some incredible people.  I miss the old team days of chocolate, especially the Reese’s peanut butter cups, but I’ve noticed I’m calmer at the meetings with tea.  Maybe that was my new team’s plan all along – quiet the unruly, reactionary, loud-mouthed beast with some tea and crumpets.  Maybe they planned all along to sear my mouth shut with scalding hot cups of tea.  Either way, I hold the warm cup in my chilly hands (the heat is sporadic in our old building), smile placidly, and try to behave while sipping my tea choice of the day.

I may not be the most refined team member, but at least I can create the illusion that I’m trying in my own crazy way to act civilized.