Wednesday, March 11, 2015

FINGERPRINT FAIL


I have to get fingerprinted for my job.  I’m going to be honest: I’m nervous and pissed off about the whole thing.

I mean, what the hell do I do if it comes back that I’m wanted by the police or the feds?  What then?  Three squares and a shared porcelain throne?  What if I did something completely illegal (accidentally, of course) in my younger days and I never knew I left my prints anywhere?  What if I wandered into a crime scene before it was a crime scene and my prints are somewhere just waiting for a match?

I don’t like it. 

If I have to get fingerprinted, then everyone who volunteers at or comes into my school as an adult should also be required to go through fingerprinting, and that includes every parent who attends a school-related event.  It’s creepy, just damn creepy, to be required to submit my prints.  Worse than that, it seems un-American.  What’s next?  My frigging DNA?

On top of this insult is the final smack – I have to pay for it.  Yup, they are requiring my prints and making me pay up.  It’s almost worth getting arrested so I can have it done for free.  What a rip-off.  Every damn teacher in the state has to pay $55 to a special company who will database our prints.  Why can’t we go to the police station and do it for free?  I pay taxes, damnit.

I have to admit that since education became federalized (illegal, by the way), teachers have become the diapers of the American system: Everyone wants a chance to take a shit on us.  I’m not sure how much longer I can stay in this profession with the increasing regulations.  Next up, the requirement that I get an SEI certification.  The test costs $185 every time I have to take it, and, if I fail, the course is over $1,000. 

Plus, every five years I have to pay the state to keep my license.  To KEEP it.  KEEP.  KEEP the goddamn profession  for which I have an Associate’s degree, a Bachelor’s degree, and two Master’s degrees… because according to the state, that’s not enough and I cannot prove I’m intelligent or qualified enough to KEEP my job.

I also have to take professional development courses, some of which are taught by people who think the SSR reading program is new (it’s about 30 years old) and by people who haven’t set foot in a classroom … well … ever; they’ve NEVER set foot in a classroom. 

At least if I find out that I’m actually a smooth criminal then I can quit this job and write novels from my jail cell.  Maybe I’ll go on the run to Canada or Mexico or Monte Carlo.  Perhaps I’ll go rogue and live my life off the grid in the woods of Vermont or the beaches of Aruba.

No matter.  I don’t like it, plain and simple, but come April 8th, the ink of my paws will forever be available to law enforcement and covert government agencies all over the world.  My identity will no longer be secret.  I’ll be another digit in the database of the giant political machine, and, goddamnit, I DO NOT APPROVE.