Wednesday, March 4, 2015

JEOPARDY (AND JANET)



Yes!   Jeopardy! 

The category is “Women Authors” and the first answer/question is about Stephanie Plum.  (Who is Janet Evanovich?)

Several years ago my dear cyber-pal Mary sent me the first Stephanie Plum novel, One For the Money.  I couldn’t believe her generosity.  This wasn’t her first gift of enlightening me to the way of the larger world.  She turned me on to the TV series Strange Luck and absolutely kickass Harsh Realm after she learned I’d been a fan of both VR-5 and Farscape.  Mary and I bonded during our mutual addiction to another offbeat TV series, Jericho.  She has rarely (if ever) steered me wrong when it comes to pop culture.

I spent several days during my February break re-reading some of the Plum novels.  First I reviewed several online to refresh my memory, then I read #17 and #18 again, and read #19 and #20.  Yes, I paid full price for the hardcover of #21 and read that one, too.  Then I read one of the Diesel and Lizzy novels again, and topped it off with my new favorite team of Evanovich characters, Kate O’Hare and Nicholas Fox.  She collaborates with Lee Goldberg, author of the Monk series, for this book series, and I have to pick up the new one, The Job.  And yes, I’ve also read the Evanovich/Hughes collaborations and Evanovich’s Alexandra Barnaby books.

I’m addicted.  The movie produced about One For the Money --  My friend Kiley and I went to see it.  Largely panned by critics, I loved the damn movie.  Not really a fan a Kathrine Heigl,  she did okay as Stephanie Plum.  Strong actors in that movie were John Leguizamo and Sherri Shepherd.  The real star?  Debbie Reynolds as Grandma Mazur.  She was freaking hilarious.

The books are laugh-out-loud funny, and there’s really not much in life better than devouring a good Evanovich mystery, and I use the term “mystery” very loosely.  I knew I’d made the right choice of following this author as soon as I answered that Jeopardy question correctly.  Seriously.  Evanovich.  Jeopardy.  Does it get any better?

Even more than knowing the correct question to the answer, I have discovered something better:  People with like minds.  So thank you to Kiley for liking Plum enough to spend an afternoon watching an offbeat movie at a nearly deserted theater, and thank you to Mary for sending me the paperback in the mail so long ago.  There is very little in the world that beats friends who know you better than you know yourself, especially friends you’ve never met in the flesh.  You totally rock.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m halfway through The Chase, and I intend to finish it sometime this week.