Monday, March 16, 2015

SPINNING THE RECORD

I want to go snowshoeing today, but it's raining.  Sure, I could go out in the rain, but I'd prefer not to break in my new snowshoes with a maiden voyage through the slush.  Besides, the fun of being out in the fresh air will be greatly diminished if I develop pneumonia again.

By the time the drizzle turns into snow, it is too late to head out even if it weren't like a giant Slurpee outside.  For a while, the snow comes down at a good clip, making the roads quickly slick and the travel instantly treacherous, so, naturally, I am out driving around in it all.

I meet some friends at a local pub for a quick dinner and some pre-St. Patrick's Day fun (more on that in the next post), and we watch the snowstorm escalate beyond what the forecasters predicted.  After three hours of snowing, it finally starts to abate, though the road crews have not yet caught up to the maintenance necessary to maneuver cars safely.

Even though I am inside the belly of the storm, I continue to believe what the forecasters tell me, that this will not be an accumulating snow.  But, as usual, they are wrong.  The snow accumulates a few inches.  Boston isn't supposed to get much, so I am surprised by the news when I arrive home, the news that claims we have finally broken into the #1 spot for Boston winter snowfall.

I may not snowshoe today, but I still feel like a winner.  Well, the winner of the losers, anyway.  Happy Snowfall Record Breaking Day, Boston.  Looks like I'll be bringing my snowshoes into the City