Tuesday, March 24, 2015

SLEEPY HOLLOW: FINAL CHAPTER -- MINDING MY OWN BUSINESS



SLEEPY HOLLOW: FINAL CHAPTER – SO I’M MINDING MY OWN BUSINESS WHEN…

I assure you, this is the final chapter in this saga, but I also have to admit that I set you up just a bit, as well.  I tell you the interesting places I visit and how the entire trip goes, but I also stress the importance of being aware of my surroundings, making sure I don’t do stupid shit that might get me mugged or maced or macheted or molested or murdered.  These are all very serious offenses, and I do my best not to become a corpse on the Sleepy Hollow news (film at eleven).

You must understand: There are so many awful things that happen simply on account of me being me that I should expect this kind of random crap to happen to me by now.  Lord knows I’m old enough to have learned my lesson, yet when these synchronicities hit me, I am still utterly surprised.  It’s like Groundhog Day all over again … and again … and again.

On my solo trip to New York state, I am careful enough to get my EZ pass mounted to the windshield so I will not have to stop and open my window at toll booths.  I am cautious when I plan a pit stop, making sure I go to safe public places like Panera and not some half-assed, semi-closed and completely suspect rest area.  I don’t wander too far from my car in the remote sections of the cemetery.  I only get out of my car at the scenic overlook when I see humans I know to trust. 

I am always aware of my surroundings.  I was, after all, a Girl Scout.

So, naturally, it turns out that the most dangerous place I find myself is when I am completely surrounded by people I know well and trust implicitly.  Apparently, I have a giant target painted on me that only certain people can see – strange people; well, nice enough people, but slightly freaky just the same.

My regular blog readers may recall my recent run-in with the Beanpot Man, the guy who told me his and his brother’s entire life stories, offered to buy me a piece of pizza, then called my kid “Son” when he arrived to meet me, his mom, at the game.  At the time of this rather crazy encounter, I was standing near the pro shop minding my own damn business when the guy just started talking to me. 

This is how it starts, always and almost without exception.  Today will be no different.

I decide to meet up with the team bus at the swanky hotel where they stayed the night before, hoping to follow them over to the college since I have an semi-idea where the campus is but no flaming idea where the field is.  According to the satellite image of the place (yes, I actually check that shit out when I’m traveling so I know where the parking lots are), they don’t even have a field, but the old high school down the street does.  Good thing I follow the bus (that also doesn’t know where it is going) because the college has added a turf field since the last time Google Earth was in the vicinity.

The parking lot slopes down, slightly at first then sharply, heading right toward the Hudson River.  For a split second (or maybe about ten minutes, I can’t recall because I think my heart stopped for a bit) I am reminded of entering downtown Burlington, Vermont, where it seems like the street will end only once it has tossed your car into Lake Champlain.  There are several parking lots, all packed to maximum capacity, but I find a recently vacated spot about two hundred feet from the banks of the river that is rushing crazily by.  The water here is violent, swift, much more dangerous than upriver by the Kingsland Point Park where the water was calm and more like a lake.  I see a lower parking lot entrance so far down the slope and near to the banks of the river that I cannot see the vehicles.  Cars disappear over the edge, then students come walking up, still dry, so I know they have made it safely.  It is so steep that the school’s shuttle bus starts down the small road then quickly backs up again.

I remain in my car and open up my cooler to eat the lunch I’ve packed, a turkey sub I made to avoid stopping anywhere by myself, and enjoy my safe view of the Hudson from my safely parked vehicle a safe distance from the water and a safe and open walk to a main school building.  I keep my eyes open for more parents from my son’s team, knowing that I am the first one there but that they will soon follow.  I don’t get out of my car until I know there is safety in numbers.  Yup, I am like the Safety Patrol.  I may travel alone, but I’m not completely reckless.

There are four possible places to watch the lacrosse game that I’ve traveled a couple of hundred miles to see.  I can stand along the end of field by the fence near the cars, which would provide many moments of imminent danger as rubber balls shot at over ninety miles per hour race past my skull.  I could sit in the rickety stands with the home crowd, where there is probably enough seating for twenty people.  I could stand on the hill, a little too far from the field and also in the crux of the Hudson River wind tunnel.  Or, I could stand near the sideline fence along with several other parents from my team, out of the worst of the wind and close enough to the field to take pictures.

I opt for the latter since my main pastime is to take a hundred or more pictures of the game.

It is here, along the fence with my compadres, that I realize yet again I have that invisible target painted on me.  It’s like a creep magnet, like flypaper for freaks, some kind of sonar that only certain people can intercept (and never anyone I truly want to have intercept it).  A thin man about my height and wearing a flannel fur-lined cap with ear flaps sidles up next to me and strikes up a conversation.  He has a familiar look about him, and I wonder if he is a parent from our team, as well, until he opens his mouth to speak. 

Nope, this guy is all New York.  His NY accent is thicker than Boston molasses. 

I start to realize that he seems familiar to me because he kind of reminds me of a shorter version of Harry Dean Stanton from Repo Man.  In no time at all, I have his entire life story – His son told him to come watch lacrosse because it’s a sport he’d probably like.  No, his son used to attend the college but doesn’t anymore.  As a matter of fact, his son (the only child he and his wife have) is getting married next October to a teacher.  His boy is in the media business.  The college cafeteria sells the best hot chocolate.  The field was put in a few years ago.  The train runs by the field on its way to the city.  The state is building a new Tappan Zee Bridge right near the park where I visited earlier.  There’s more, but I am sure I’ve forgotten some of it.

While all of this is going on, I am still trying to take pictures of the game.  I steal a glance to my other side and see some of the parents smirking.  Yes, they think this is funny that I have found a friend, or, rather, that the man has found me as a friend.

Don’t get me wrong.  The man is pleasant; talkative, but pleasant in a New York-Meets- New England kind of way.  He and his wife, who is nowhere to be seen, have been married for over thirty years.  He somehow extracts from me a bit of my life history, which endears him to me as if we have been friends for all of our lives rather than the ten minutes we’ve actually shared together.  He disappears once then reappears, picking up the conversation exactly where he left off as if we are in a time warp and the scene just ceased to move on while he was away from it.

Weirdly, one moment we are talking, then, as I look to my lacrosse friends and put the camera back to my eye, I notice the New Yorker has disappeared again.

“This kind of stuff always happens to me,” I lament to the parents.  They chuckle and think it’s oddly funny.  Yup, my life is a frigging laugh riot.

As if he’s an extra in Bewitched, my friend returns, appearing next to me as magically as he had vanished moments earlier.  In his hands are two steaming cups – both full of hot chocolate from the college’s cafeteria.  I am hoping it is safe to drink because I don’t want to be impolite and, to be completely honest, I am freezing my ass off at this point.  The sun has gone away, and an icy breeze is careening off the thunderously loud river.

Damn.  He’s right.  This is some of the best hot chocolate I’ve had in a while. 

The New Yorker chats for a few minutes more then shakes my hand, glad to meet me though we’ve never exchanged names at any point in the entire two-quarters-of-lacrosse-worth of conversation. 

My whole New York trip I have avoided interacting with anyone, watching out for my safety, minding my own business.  Then, in the most populated and safest of all environments, I am approached by a complete stranger.  The oddity of it all somehow relaxes me, as if my uncomfortable moment for the day is passed, and it’ll be smooth sailing from here.

Even though the GPS takes me out a different way than I intended, the way I wanted to avoid, I make the three-and-a-half hour trip back to Massachusetts without starting to feel tired until route 2, so close to safety and home.  I crank up the music and sing to keep myself alert – Rush’s Freewill and Ted Nugent’s Stranglehold.  Ironically after all that, the most dangerous moment of my trip is when I hit black ice at my exit.  Four hundred miles later and an adventure of a lifetime, I crawl home and into bed because that five a.m. work wake-up is going to totally suck eggs.