Monday, March 9, 2015

ON BEING AN OSTRICH


(Maryland)

I arrive home from a trip to Maryland, hoping for clear, warmer weather since that’s what the weather people claimed I’d be coming home to on Sunday. 

The tales of the trip, another successful adventure, will have to wait.  Between springing forward to lose an hour of sleep and being awakened even earlier by a mega hot flash, I’ve only slept three hours, and I am going to crash as soon as I write this blog entry.

But, I digress.  I am talking about the wonderful temperatures and the bright sunshine I am expecting once the car I’m riding in passes the Connecticut-Massachusetts border.

Instead, I am greeted with snow.  Not just a little snow; a driving, heavy, near-white-out of a major snow squall.  Luckily, I am not driving.  I’m not in the front seat.  I’m not even in the back seat.  I am in the way, way back seat, which means I can avoid looking out any windows.  I can create the illusion that it’s not snowing out at all.

I’m the ostrich of passengers.

The snow doesn’t last very long, but I realize when I retrieve my car and pull into my own driveway that it has, indeed, snowed here.  It isn’t enough to shovel, but it’s enough to put a nice coating all around my son’s car.  I am somewhat depressed about this, but I ignore it all, carrying my heavy suitcase into the house so I don’t drag it across the flaky white shit.

Just when I feel a little annoyed at Mother Nature’s proverbial big fat dump, I see something that I have not seen since January 26th.  I spy with my little eye the slightest hint of round plastic jutting out of the New England semi-permafrost.  I see my …

TRASH CANS!  Wooooohooooo! 

For the first time in six weeks, I might be able to put trash out to the curb in a proper trash receptacle, and, if I can’t, I can at least hope that the day is coming.  All I have to do is grab a shovel and start digging.

Then I remember that I’ve only had three hours of sleep and will end up out-cold in a dream-laden coma in a snowbank if I do any of that shoveling shit.  Oh, well.  Trashcans have waited this long; they can wait a little longer.  Unless, of course, it snows again.  Then I’m screwed.