Thursday, March 5, 2015

FARTS ARE FUNNY: WHY I TEACH MIDDLE SCHOOL



Farts are funny.  This is one of the reasons I teach middle school. 

This morning a boy in my first class farts really loudly.  The reactions of the others in his group are priceless.  The lone girl pops her head up, cranes her neck, and looks around like an ostrich searching for trouble.  Two of the three boys in the group glance nervously around, realize that everyone else in the classroom not only heard the fart but is staring at them, then quickly point to the guilty party, the boy with the red face who doesn’t dare make eye contact.

While the other students sit dumbfounded, I quickly get out my aerosol can of flowery-smelling Lysol and spray a protective perimeter around my own desk.  Screw this – they’re on their own with that fart.  I don’t want it invading my space.  This action, in a nutshell, is what outs me as a true middle school teacher.

Elementary school teachers would have this reaction:  Now, children, everyone passes gas.  Say ‘excuse me’ and let’s move on.”  And then they’d move on.

High School teachers would be all, “Oh, get over yourselves.  Someone crack a window back there.”  And then they’d move on.

Middle school teachers?  Well, we are a breed unto ourselves.  Sometimes we clap for a good fart, especially if wind is broken during a particularly high-stakes moment, like during state-mandated testing or silent study hall.  Sometimes we rate the fart by commenting “Good one” or “Nice hang time on that one” or simply “Duuuuuude.” 

Middle school teachers still think potty humor is funny.  Hilarious.  Commendable.

Not convinced?  My co-teacher and I are talking about words that are difficult to spell.  I tell her that I find hemorrhoid to be a challenging word.  I also admit that I find Fahrenheit challenging, as well. 

My co-teacher nods and admits, “I find diarrhea to be hard.”

“Diarrhea isn’t hard,” I say with a wry smile, “and that’s what makes it a problem.” 

Then we laugh and laugh.  See?  Potty humor.

Later in the day in my class after lunch, another boy on the opposite side of the room farts.  The kid sitting across from him thinks this is hysterical and giggles so convulsively that he snorts.

“Eh,” I say judgmentally from my desk, giving a quick Lysol spritz to the immediate perimeter, “I’ve heard better today.” 

Then I smile and laugh just a bit because I understand that I will never, ever be promoted out of middle school.  I’m a disgrace to the teaching profession and to decorum in general because, damnit, farts are funny.  Best of all, though, they’re not too hard to spell.