Tuesday, March 17, 2015

HAPPY ST. PADDY'S DAY

Two years ago on St. Patrick's Day, my Irish friend Sally and I were bored at our respective homes, so we met for a drink at a local Irish pub.  We were minding our own damn business when all of a sudden bagpipers came in the door, playing and drumming as they entered.  Members of the Catamount Pipe Band were on their way home to Vermont after marching in the Boston St. Patrick's Day parade in Southie.

Last year they returned (I missed them), so this year I was determined NOT to miss them again.  I tried to time the pub visit perfectly, but the parade got out early, and we were in the midst of one of the worst snow squalls we'd seen in weeks. 

This year I hauled along another pal, Jess, and we went to the pub with few expectations but high hopes.  We sat away from the crowd in the bar.  Unbeknownst to me, though, the crowd in the corner was actually the Catamount Pipe Band, finishing up their dinner and getting ready to head out into the storm.

I quickly shot a text to Sally, who jumped in her SUV and hauled ass to the pub.  Meanwhile, the band was preparing to leave.  I walked over and begged them, "Oh, PLEASE stay another five minutes!  My friend saw you here two years ago, and she's on her way.  She's at the light down the street.  PLEASE!  She's Irish and everything!!!!!"

Yes, I have zero pride when it comes to hanging out with bagpipers in an Irish pub.

Bless them all, they stayed, waited for Sally, and played her a tune.  Shortly after the band hit the road, the snow abated, at least where we were.  I hope they all got back to Montpelier safe and sound.  Next year, though, I might just go camp out at the pub and wait for them.  I don't want to miss a second of the fun, especially since I discovered that my favorite barkeep Jarvis (well, okay, he's tied for my favorite with Paula, Michael Anne, and Brian) taught himself how to Irish step-dance.

It doesn't get any better than this.  Happy St. Paddy's Day, all!