Sunday, November 1, 2015

HALLOWEEN COUNTDOWN

I am a person of great optimism.  I know this because every Halloween, I expect trick-or-treaters to come to my house. 

Okay, so this year I don't carve the pumpkin and light a candle inside of it, but it's only because the store is out of pumpkins when I go this afternoon.  I have been out and about this Halloween, so I'm already wearing my black and gold spider web shirt, bright red nail polish, charcoal eye make-up, and black lip gloss.  Yes, I really am seen in public like this.

I have candy in a bowl -- not much, because I know there will be leftovers, so I make sure to have Reese's peanut butter cups for me and Kit-Kats for my son.  I have the light on, just the front light and not the kitchen light so kids will know which doorbell to ring.  In addition to my makeshift costume, I am wearing an air of optimism.

There are plenty of children in my neighborhood:  the landlord's kids out front,. the gaggle of kids a few houses over, and I know there are others because I see them stream off the school bus that I am often stuck behind in traffic on my way home from work.  I also know that they are aware of where my doorbell is because they're always ringing it to sell me something -- gift wrap, magazines, Girl Scout cookies...

So, I wait.  I wait from 5:00 until well past 7:00, when trick-or-treating is supposed to stop.  Just like every Halloween, I can count the number of kiddos on one hand.  I can count them on my feet ... with my socks on ... and shoes.  Just like every Halloween, nobody comes.

Nobody rings my doorbell; nobody reaches deep into the bowl for too many pieces of candy.  I keep my skull earrings in way past my regular bedtime to squeeze that last little bit out of the holiday.  I'll even get an extra hour of it later when I set the clocks back.  I'm just prolonging the inevitable, though.  I can extend Halloween 364 more days and it won't matter.  Still, no one will come.

It's okay, though.  I'm already planning my costume for next year because I am, after all, an eternal Halloween optimist.