Sunday, November 22, 2015

LIGHTING THE TREE ... OR NOT

Oh, come on!

I finally get a chance to see the tree lighting at Faneuil Hall.  Not only do I get a chance to see it, I have front row seats via a window upstairs at a bar during a pub crawl.

I get to see the Blue Man Group's crazy light-stick drum routine, I get to see an endless line of guys in tuxedos and Santa hats making their way to the stage.  I get to see throngs of people ten rows deep waiting for the tree lighting.

I start taking video with my phone as soon as the clock strikes 7.  We all line up at the windows waiting ... waiting ... waiting ...

Finally, someone looks up the schedule on the Internet.

9:00 p.m.

Seriously?  So, all those people are going to stand there, hundreds deep, and wait two more hours for the tree lighting.  The 7:00 "Tree Lighting" is merely a ruse.  Damn promoters.

Hmmmm.  Never mind then.  I am home by the time they light the tree. 

Last year I saw the tree a few weeks after it was lit, and it had rained badly the days before I saw it.  The stormy weather had knocked out most of the tree lights, and the damn thing was nothing but a dud.  Now, this debacle.  Oh, well.  My luck.

Maybe next year, right?  Or, maybe not.