Friday, November 27, 2015

TAKING A NAP - WHY MY JOB IS GOING TO KILL ME

My job is going to kill me.

Every Friday I am so wiped out from work that I sleep about ten hours at night.  Sometimes this marathon sleeping comes on after napping post-school on Friday in the afternoon and early evening.  So many directives; so much extra teaching time; so much educational and curriculum time stolen for so many initiatives and social programs and activities to make all the kids feel like little boxes made of ticky-tacky that all look just the same.  Trophies for everyone!  Huzzah!!!

Wednesday, after the half day in which I did a lot of filing after collecting homework and letting the kids do Thanksgiving-related, language-type papers, I run a few errands, including sitting at the car dealer while my vehicle gets an oil change, tires rotated, and general pre-winter maintenance work done.  I read a few magazines, do a couple of puzzles, and doze a bit.  Then, I hit the store for something I forgot to buy Monday (canned pumpkin for the pumpkin butter ... duh), hit the ATM, get gas in the car for the trip to Maine, bake pumpkin bread and make the pumpkin butter (now that I have canned pumpkin), and generally have a relaxing evening.

Still. School. Is. Trying. To. Kill. Me.

It's Thanksgiving morning.  I am supposed to be driving to Maine.  I wake up around 5:00, my usual work time, and decide to loll in bed for a few more minutes.  I must doze off  because I am suddenly awakened by an incoming text message.  Hmmm.  I wonder what time it is ...

Geeeezuuuuuhhhsssmuddafuddingkreeeeeee.... 9:20!  9-frigging-20?!?!  What the --- I can hardly believe that I "napped" for four more hours.  I gotta get my ass moving.  What's wrong with me?!

But, I remember that in the last work week we have had half-days, open house, social CARE day, Massachusetts Tiered System of Support days (x2), this directive, that requirement, these statistics, that report to write.  And, on top of it all, I have THAT CLASS I have to take on Tuesday nights.

Good gawd, it's a wonder I'm not STILL sleeping twelve hours later.  I don't need a bridge to jump off of nor some fatal disease nor old age.  My job is going to kill me.  Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to go take a nap.