Saturday, November 28, 2015

HOLIDAYS AND THE CINDERELLA COMPLEX

I've started my yearly routine of watching Christmas movies on the Hallmark Channel and the Hallmark Movie Channel.  I have some favorites, and then there are a whole host of ones that should be avoided at all costs. 

However, there seems to be a trend I hadn't noticed in years past.  All of a sudden, every girl/woman in these movies is somehow unwittingly drawn to a prince or a king or royalty of some kind.

Um ... say, what?

When did the Cinderella complex come back in vogue?  Did I forget to drop my glass slipper somewhere?

To be fair, I never have been one of those delicate flowers who needed constant attention.  I don't like shopping, heels hurt my feet, and I'm not one for dining out.  I can't find a hair style that suits me, and, even if I did, I don't know the first thing about styling products.  Getting dressed up means mascara, earrings, and my best jeans.  I don't need to be pampered, and I sure as hell don't need to be rescued.  If I want to ride in a horse-drawn carriage, I can jump into one in Boston and go for a ride all by myself.

So, I try it.  I try watching one of these "I become royalty for Christmas" movies.  It makes me so uncomfortable that a couple of times I start twitching.  Live in a castle?  Ugh, no.  First of all, there's too much furniture.  Second of all, it takes too long to run back upstairs if I forget something (which I always do).  Lastly, who the hell are all those extra people?  What is this, Downton frigging Abbey?  I need my alone time, folks.  ALONE.

The capping, or crapping, moment for me is when the music comes on: "You make alllll my dreeeeeeeams come truuuuuuuuuuue..."  Really?  This is still an aspiration for girls of all ages -- to be swept off their feet by some rich guy on a horse?  For me, this lifestyle would never work.  Remember my hairdo/product disability?  I suspect that means I could never wear a crown properly.  I'd be a royal failure.

I don't get it.  I mean, I guess I don't begrudge anyone their palace-envy, but I just cannot wrap my head around any of it. 

I'll have to pay better attention to the titles of the Christmas movies, I suppose.  I just turned one off because it had the word "Princess" in the title.  I'd still like to watch some of my favorite Hallmark movies, and I'll still watch Christmas specials like Peanuts and Rudolph.  But, if my doorbell rings and someone tries to make me try on a glass slipper, I'm just prewarning people right now that I will kick his royal ass.