Sunday, April 26, 2015

VACATION FROM VACATION



I need a vacation from my vacation. 

First of all, it’s a break, not a vacation.  If it were a vacation, I’d be getting paid.  Since I am not paid for these days off, it’s a break.  This fact alone is cause for agita.

Secondly, I have my educator evaluation portfolio to complete.  This is super-stressful because the requirements, while in outline format, are rather ethereal and vague.  I am mostly guessing as to the artifacts I am supposed to include.  Each artifact needs a cover page.  Some of the cover pages need evidence explanation pages, as well.  I easily waste more than thirty hours on this project.

Third, I haven’t felt exceptionally well this vacation.  I started feeling blah the Friday before vacation, and I have felt only mildly better as the week progressed.  Add to that persistent tendonitis that I was originally told would last six weeks.  Now, when called out by my still swollen and extremely sore Achilles tendons, the orthopedist admits it may be years … YEARS … before the tendons are back to normal … IF EVER.  The good news is that the excruciating pain I have in my right foot is not caused by any breaks, fractures, or arthritis.  Apparently, I have phantom pain that prevents me from walking completely upright.

Last but not least, though, I am going to need a vacation from my “vacation” because I have spent all of my free time (when not doing school work) traveling.  Okay, it has been for sports, but still.  This week I’ve been to Long Island and Connecticut.  These last two days represent senior weekend for lacrosse, so we’ll be hauling the boys into the nearest city, and then we will come back to the hotel and raise mayhem. 

It has been a wonderful week, a fabulous week, an exhausting week.  But, I am looking forward to sitting at my desk with a schedule and a routine and an absolute time to do nothing built in to the day.  After this week, being back at work will feel like a vacation, and I’ve earned every second of it.