Tuesday, April 21, 2015

SPENDING QUALITY TIME WITH MY DAUGHTER -- PART 2



Lacrosse season is almost over, and the team has one more major road trip and one more minor one before the season ends at home this Saturday.  The major road trip requires a four-plus-hour drive to Long Island and a stay-over.  Because I have to work a full day, I know it will be murder through rush-hour traffic between Worcester, Hartford, and everyone trying to get into NYC.

My daughter decides a road trip with Mom must certainly be the way to get into Heaven because the good Lord knows that anyone brave enough to spend time with me (and who lives to speak about it) certainly must be doing some heavy-duty penance.  We try every way the various GPS systems tell us to go, but we hit traffic every turn we take.  There are times that I don’t even know where the hell we are anymore.

ME:   I wish we had some maps with us.

DAUGHTER:  We have two GPS’s going, the WAZE app, and you printed out the directions from Mapquest.

ME:  True, but I like to know exactly where I am.  I wish we had some maps with us.

It goes like this for a long time, and my daughter is remarkably patient, even when the only pit stop that is open is a tiny roadside rest area with a line for the bathroom that stretches nearly into the next state. 

We learn a couple of things along the way, though.  For example, Throgs Neck Bridge is amazing, especially the crazy turn at the north end, but at night when it’s all lit up – Spectacular.  We also learn that a highway exit on Long Island is only an exit in a grammatical capacity.  In reality, it is simply a way for the state of New York to puke you onto another highway, and then another, and then another.  We don’t actually exit the highway-after-highway roadway system until we pull onto the side street where the hotel is located (at a dead end).

The hotel is beautiful, which it should be for the nightly rate it charges, and we manage to get a front-row parking space.  We immediately hear banging on the windows from inside the building and realize our welcoming committee has spotted us, even at this semi-late hour.  A quick check-in at the front desk puts us smack in between our pals and right at the heart of the partying.  A little Milagro tequila later, I am ready to be rolled into bed and prepped for the hangover that is sure to follow, which it does.

In the morning, I battle the crappy stomach I’ve had since the day before that is now complicated by the residual alcohol infusion.  The wonderful complimentary breakfast for me becomes part of a banana and a few sips of Constant Comment tea.  I add some apple juice to the mix later.  Okay, I steal a bit of my daughter’s waffle, but no way could I eat one myself.

By 9:00, I am ready to venture away from the bathroom, so we pack up our belongings, not nearly getting our money’s worth out of our brief stay, and venture out, vowing to meet our friends at the college in a few hours.  My daughter and I navigate to a nearby Starbucks to get some real coffee (for her).  

It’s time to do some exploring.

We set the GPS for the Cradle of Aviation Air and Space Museum on Charles Lindbergh Boulevard.  Instead, we are directed to the Long Island Children’s Museum.  That would be a huge “no,” and, with a hangover, it would probably be a suicide mission with me jumping out a roof-top fire door.  A few adjustments to the electronics and we are on our way again.  Apparently, we are a quarter of a mile off target.

Remember what I said about highways?  Yup, we are stuck on an intricate web of interconnected one-way highways.  Even though we could spit on the Air and Space Museum from the Children’s Museum, we have to go around the entire block yet again.  It’s actually kind of fun because we get to pass Nassau Coliseum, home of the New York Islanders, about fifteen times.  By now, we know the neighborhood better than the people who live here.

 We are the second group of people to arrive at the Cradle of Aviation Air and Space Museum, following a man and his very young son, and are approaching the front of the building as the workers unlock the front door.  We pay for our tickets, attempt to ask a few questions, and are essentially shut down by the curt woman handing out tickets.  I mean, this is a museum, right?  We are supposed to be curious, right?  Thankfully, the other employees are helpful and pleasant.  Maybe our ticket lady had a bad night with Milagro tequila, as well.

The museum itself is pretty darn cool.  It houses planes and a few cars and even a replica lunar module, and it covers aviation from Da Vinci’s drawings to Kitty Hawk to the World Wars and right into space.  There are interactive displays, mini movie areas, and exhibit halls complete with sound effects.  We learn all about the historical significance of Long Island to aeronautics, a historical connection that I will openly admit I knew absolutely nothing about until now. 

We spend a couple of hours in the museum, even waiting fifteen minutes to get onto the Blue Angels motion ride that breaks before we get a chance to try it out.  Probably this is a good thing considering that my stomach is still iffy and by now I really have to pee.

Heading back out, we pass the Nassau Coliseum one last time, and make a quick stop at Chipolte for burritos.  I make sure mine is full of things that will sit well, avoiding guacamole, onions, peppers, hot sauce, and any kind of beans.  My daughter finds the university with no problems, and we park near the recently vacated team bus.  This is where the boys will gather after their game, and it’s our best shot at spending extra quality time with her brother before he and we get on the road for New England.

We have about forty-five minutes to kill before the first face-off.  Thankfully, it is warm and sunny, with temperatures in the mid-seventies.  We roll down the windows, turn on some music, charge up our cell phones, apply sunscreen, and munch on our burritos.  Okay, she munches, I pick at mine because I am still feeling a bit peckish, and I don’t want to vomit in my daughter’s new SUV on the way home.

Besides, I have to be on my best behavior heading back.  After all, we may have two GPS systems, printed out directions, and Elvis on the WAZE, but we still don’t have a map.