Monday, April 13, 2015

TRIVIA -- PART II

Sadly, our trivia team is in fifth place coming into the final round.  Because this is a fundraising trivia event, we are allowed to bet as many of our points as we want, so we decide to go big or go home.  We bet all but one point, so we can end with #1 if we can't actually be #1.

The question has to do with ancient biographers.  This is a question my friend Jess would know, hands down, but she isn't with us tonight.  We throw some names around, we throw some ideas around.  Nothing seems right.  I don't know shit about ancient writers.  My area of expertise falls in writing not literature, and, even then, my literary knowledge doesn't extend much prior to the 7th century.

I start wracking my brain.  Nothing.  I got nothing.  Except ... the letter P.  For some reason, the letter P is in my brain, but it means nothing to me.  Nothing.

Then, a small light in my brain.  You see, I can't stand Romeo and Juliet.  When I finally read the play from start to finish, I thought it was one of the funniest and most ironic things I'd ever read.  I still, to this day, fall into the school of contention that it is one of Shakespeare's greatest, most underrated comedies.  After all, how else could so many stupid, shallow people all be together in one place if not for comedy?  Besides, Shakespeare stole the story, anyway.  It was based on a real-life story that was chronicled by some guy named Plutarch.

Plutarch.  Hey, he wrote about true stuff.  He wrote about people.

PLUTARCH.  Shit, write that down.  Am I sure, people ask me?  No, I'm not sure, but it's our best guess.  It's better than Homer or one of the philosophers.  Plato, the other "P" guy, talked about caves and fires and morons chained to walls.  He didn't write biographies; he was borderline psychotic.

And the answer would be:  PLUTARCH.

Unfortunately, the lead team is the only other team than our table who gets the correct answer.  We end up in second place.  It's okay, though.  Our table takes home several prizes, including the beer bucket (mine).  Also, we raised money for charity.  That's the real winner tonight.