Tuesday, April 7, 2015

ANOTHER STINKER OF A DAY



Wow.  My day is going to be a total stinker. 

How do I know this?  My armpit has to explain it to me.  Hold on just a second and I’ll tell you how I managed to get here – and by “here” I totally mean “playing Beat the Clock to get out the door on time.”

First off let me admit that I am wide awake as this happens, and I am completely and honestly sober.  I cannot blame residual wine-brain nor can I claim missed-alarm excuses.  Secondly, I should also admit that all of my “get ready and get out the door” products are all in the same bathroom places where I have kept them for more than a decade: toothpaste is always in the left drawer; make-up and hair brushes are in the right drawer; deodorant is under the cabinet to the right; perfumes and other pleasant-smelling Bath & Body Works sprays are under the cabinet to the left.  I can’t mess up shampoo and conditioner because I keep those in the bathtub a safe distance away.

Honestly, the system is fool-proof.  Until today.

I’m getting ready, minding my own business, completely on autopilot.  Everything is going along great.  I have extra time because I just happen to be organized for some reason.  I marvel at how well I am functioning.  Looks like I might even leave early and get some back-log stuff at work done before the students charge into my room.

The only thing I have left to do is slap on some deodorant, throw on the rest of my clothes, and zoom out the door.

Yup.  Grab some deodorant.  I hit the nozzle, spray, spray, sprrrrr…

Oh, shit.

This is not deodorant.

What have I done?!

Somehow I have managed to get my hands on the cheapo spray perfume impersonator that I keep handy under the left side of the sink.  I don’t even recall grabbing the canister, but suddenly as the overly-floral stench wafts to my nose, my daughter’s voice materializes in my head: “That stuff makes you smell like an old lady.”

Shit, shit, shit.  Now my armpit will smell like an old lady.  This isn’t antiperspirant, and now not only will my armpit be unprotected all day, but I’ll sweat old-fogey flowery stink-rays all over the place.

Out comes a washcloth, the soap, and some water (cold water, because waiting for the hot water in the bathroom sink is like waiting for Godot).  I scrub my poor armpit until the perfume dissipates and the skin turns raw.  Once everything is dry and stench-free, I apply real deodorant, the proper stuff, the stuff that will stop sweat and not make me smell like Grandma in the nursing home.  I consider choosing another body spray, one that smells spicy rather than flowery.

No.  Not a good idea.  I cannot trust myself with aerosols today.

I glance at the clock and realize my stinking fiasco has cost me the excess time I had gained in the first place.  Now I’m running late.  Now everything is going to be out of stink … I mean, sync.

I toss the canister of perfume into the trash as I head out the door.

Damnit.  Another stinker of a day.