Saturday, April 4, 2015

BABY, CHECK IT OUT


I recently started using Waze, the traffic app, on my android phone.  I am not quite adept at it yet, but I’m getting there.  Waze tells me (and I tell it) things like where the construction is happening, when vehicles are on the shoulder, and where the speed traps are. 

This last item comes in very handy on my way to New Hampshire and back again as I am pushing the speed limit just a bit.  I wonder if I have to physically see the Waze app in action or if it will talk to me.  I have the sounds on, but, as I said, I am still in the experimentation stage. 

Waze, like my GPS, can be set to different voices.  My GPS is set to Scottish comedian Billy Connolly, who also played Il Duce in Boondock Saints, because I like to hear him make fun of me when I take wrong turns or hit shortcuts “he” doesn’t know about.  While playing around with Waze, I discovered it can be set to Elvis.  I’m not a huge Elvis fan.  I remember in the mid-seventies when he staged a comeback, I was shocked because I thought he’d already died.  Now, though, Elvis is alive and well and smoothly telling me such things as, “Whoa, check it out, baby, police reported ahead!”

On my way home, Elvis and Billy are having a duel of words.  In one ear I have Elvis imploring me, “Hey, baby, a-take a left.”  In the other ear, I have Billy telling me that it is advisable to turn my entire car around and not to turn just myself around in the front seat. 

I’m not sure which one to listen to anymore. 

No matter.  Both Elvis and Billy see me safely to the driveway.  They may talk a good game, but … Nope; nothing else.  That’s their only job: to talk a good game.  Thanks, Elvis and Billy, ah-thank you, thank you very much.