Sunday, April 5, 2015

HAPPY EASTER PLUS SOCKS


For years Easter in my house meant baskets with toys, chocolate, candy, and socks.  Yup.  Socks.  For some reason, the Easter Bunny always brought socks to my kids.  Maybe Bunny knew that the winter took a terrible toll on my children's socks -- in and out of boots day after day, the wear and tear of the season causing torn sock toes and threadbare sock heels.

So, for that awkward time of spring between full-on snow boots versus bare feet and sandals, the Easter Bunny knew these kids needed socks.

As the kiddos aged out of the whole "basket for Easter morning" routine, it surprised me that the one thing they missed the most ended up being the socks.  They teased me about it for a couple of years, and then the whole concept seemed to be forgotten.

Until today.

Today my youngest decides to come home for twenty-four hours.  I won't be cooking Easter dinner since one of my sisters and I will be taking my other sister out for a (hopefully quick) meal.  Son came home needing a change of scenery and to pick up his car for the last few weeks of school.

"I'm sorry," I explain, "but I'm not doing anything special for dinner."

"It's okay," he responds.  "I have to get back and do homework, anyway."

We go to the store together, and I buy him a few things he will need to return to school for the last time, the last part of his last semester.  "You've got some stuff to get you through," I say, referring to the Cheez-Its and the Dunkin Donuts coupons and the coffee and the creamer and the sunscreen and the leftover honey barbecue chicken calzone.

He shakes his head sadly.  "Yes, but I won't be getting any socks from the Easter Bunny this year."

Apparently I am a failure as both caretaker and Easter disseminator.  Sorry, Bunny.  I promise, next year there will be socks.

Happy Easter to all.