Saturday, April 25, 2015

SWAN SONG FOR A SPORTS MOM



Today marks my swan song as a sports mom.  My youngest, officially an adult now and a senior at college, wraps up his career as a lacrosse player; I wrap up my career as team photographer.  After three children and tens of thousands of photographs, I am retiring.

No more night games battling mosquitoes at soccer, or standing in six-foot high snowbanks at lacrosse, or developing hip bursitis from hours in bleachers at judo tournaments, or sniffing enough chlorine to clear out my sinuses eight times over at swim practices, or jockeying for better camera angles of the balance beam through the uneven parallel bars at gymnastic meets. 

No more team dinners.  No more camaraderie at fundraising events.  No more reason to bake dozens of chocolate chip cookies from scratch multiple times each week.  (I miss the cookies already.)

I claim I won’t miss it, this life of a traveling sports parent, and, in many ways, I’m telling the truth; the logistics are exhausting.  After decades of being en pointe, it will be nice to live in the moment rather than worrying about whether or not I saved that same moment for posterity.