Monday, April 20, 2015

SPENDING QUALITY TIME WITH MY DAUGHTER -- PART 1



I am having the longest intake-type physical exam of my life, and it is all being caught on camera.  Thank goodness I have the sense to shave my legs. 

This is all my daughter’s doing.

Weeks ago my daughter called to ask me if I’d be her test dummy for an upcoming video presentation for her online college class.  She is a nurse who is expanding her degree, and she has to film herself doing an exam on a live subject.  It all seemed so vague and far away that I volunteered without really giving it a second thought.

Now the time rolls around to film the video. 

In addition to shaving my legs (and armpits … I mean, why not, right?), I dress in a sports bra, loose t-shirt, and some yoga pants that are more like wide-legged knit capris.  We rearrange the living room a bit and suddenly realize how lucky I am to have a tiny house because I long-ago replaced the large couch with a smaller futon.  The futon doubles as an extra-wide examining table, complete with a retractable 45-degree angle headrest, and will be perfect for our mock medical office.

My daughter, afraid she will forget something important, tapes a few cheat-sheets off camera on the far wall, so she can look past me, but the camera won’t pick up the papers flapping around under the lighthouse-themed clock.  She sets up the Go-Pro camera.  After several attempts at getting the angle just right, we are ready to start.

The first take opens with some introductions, which is funny since I’ve known her quite literally all of her life, and it all goes well until we get to the “breathe through one nostril” part.  It’s spring, and allergy season is rapidly closing in on me.  The only thing missing from my nostril breathing is a full-blown snot bubble.

I hope she doesn’t notice, but, of course, she does.

“Oh,” she says awkwardly with a hint of humor.  “Juicy!”

With that I chuckle in a fit of embarrassment, the camera gets stopped, and we have to compose ourselves, which we do, but only until the camera starts rolling again.  We have to take it all from the top again so her examination of me will be in one take.  We start with the introductions again, the hand cleansing, the head touching, the thyroid checking, the looking in the ears, the eye tests, the jaw clenching.

Uh-oh.  Here it comes again.  Here comes the nostril thing again.  Oh, please, nose, please don’t do it again.  Please … do … not …

Yay, no near-snot bubble this time!  Nope!  This time my nostril whistles.  Yup, whistles like a tea kettle.

Now we are both laughing and have to start all over.  Again.  Damn.

It takes a few tries because we cannot stop laughing.  Okay, okay, this is for a serious grade, so let’s be serious.  Let’s be … and it takes a several more times before we are truly ready, and, even then, I keep smiling and willing myself not to giggle.  This strategy works until we are almost at the nostril thing again.  I bust out laughing and fall sideways on the futon.

Crap.  I’ve ruined yet another take.

This goes on and on maybe three more times, sometimes me losing it and sometimes my daughter, even when I just pretend to breathe through each nostril.  It takes a while, but we finally get past it.  Phew.  Success!  Right?

Wrong.

My daughter is worried she forgot something.  Did she have me stand on one leg to check my balance?  Did she tap on my kidneys?  Did she remember to do the whisper test?  At one point the lighthouse clock on the wall starts making a series of foghorn noises to mark the hour.  I hope the Go-Pro battery is fully charged because this requires time to do correctly.

We take it from the top, complete with the nostril thing, yet again.  By now I have it down pat.  I try to give her a signal if I think she forgot something, and I’ve totally mastered the art of pretending my nose works.

It only takes three hours from start to finish, including getting set up, breaking up, and picking up.  It takes days to get her grade, somewhere around a perfect score, which it should be because she didn’t need any cheat sheets after the number of times we practiced over the course of our failed attempts at making a mini-movie.

The best part is that she finds out her grade while we are on a road trip together, but that’s another story.  Part 2.  Coming soon to a small screen near you.  If you’re lucky, that is, and if you promise not to blow any snot bubbles when you see it.