Tuesday, April 28, 2015

THIS WAY TO DEEM'S COLLECTION: TALES FROM THE ART MUSEUM - PART 2



I am still at the museum, still unable to take any snapshots of the paintings and other works because dodo man at the kiosk says I can’t.  He also says he won’t chase me around if I do, but what the hell is the fun in breaking the rules if no one is going to make me work for it?

After enjoying the photographs of the Gate to Hell, because I did just come running from the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, I head over to the second special gallery.  This place is full of works by a guy named George Deem.  It’s all kind of interesting – lots of perspective pieces and a bit of Escher-like designs with a lot of patterns.   He is very much into art deco-like presentation.

 In the midst of all the chaos, Deem steals.  That’s right … STEALS.  He actually has a multi-panel painting that shows step-by-step how to paint a Vermeer.  In addition to showing everyone in the entire world how to paint a Vermeer, he actually “borrows” Vermeer’s characters and places them together in rogue paintings.  For example, a woman leaning against a wall in the Vermeer is now leaning toward someone’s ear (another borrowed Vermeer character from a completely different painting), telling secrets. 

One painting that fascinates me is Deem’s take on Matisse’s 1910 The Dance.  The Matisse original has nude figures dancing in a circle.  Deem adds in patterns and room decorations, but it’s still a painting of naked people.  And this totally fascinates me because …

…. there is a busload of eight year olds wandering around the gallery.

You know that insurance commercial with the pig in the pool chaise singing, “Boots and pants and boots and pants?”  Well, I have that song stuck in my head, only I imagine elementary school kids chanting, “Boobs and butts and boobs and butts…” 

I move away from that end of the gallery, just in case, stopping by the four bricks with the continuous colonial Americana painted on them, but still moving enough to keep ahead of the potential boobs-and-butts chanters.

I stop at a far wall and look up. 

Suddenly, I see her.  There she is in all her Da Vinci perversion.  It’s the Mona Lisa.  Only – it’s not. 

It’s Mona Lisa with her head on sideways.  The entire painting has gone wrong.  Reading it left to right (which may have been hung the wrong way for this show), there’s the head shawl going one way, Mona Lisa’s head rolling in the complete opposite direction, and then her neck and body continuing across the canvas, disconnected from her head and disappearing into the side frame.

(She was hanging the wrong way.)
I have to admit, she looks damn pleased with herself.  That little semi-smirk Leo gave the original?  It’s almost playful and somewhat bewitching when turned on its side.  Maybe she’s laughing at the children seeing the naked dancing counterparts across the gallery floor.  Maybe it’s me she is laughing at.  Maybe, just maybe, she knows I got lost an hour ago and accidentally walked into a church, where I almost fainted when I saw I would have to confess.

I have my new journal with me.  I picked it up at DSW in the clearance section.  That’s right – a journal in a shoe store because the journal has shoes on it.  It was 50% off, people!  I decide to write a poem, so here is my poem about George Deem’s painting.  I’ll say it in advance:  You’re welcome!

This way
to George
Deem’s collection.
Look.
Mona Lisa
doesn’t have her
head on straight.
I admit she looks
damn happy
this way.
Perhaps she secretly wishes
Da Vinci had painted her
this way.
It must be fun to look
this way
and that way
without concern for
decorum.
I suspect the Louvre
might shit itself.
Mona Lisa
smirks as her eyes
follow me.
“This way,”
she beckons.
“This way
to escape the frame.”

I tour the rest of the museum but come back to see the sideways Mona Lisa before I go.  It has been a long two-plus hour drive to get here in addition to the time I’ve spent in the Mattatuck Museum, so I hit the restroom before I head out on my next adventure. 

The restroom is right across from dodo man at the kiosk.  Of course he starts talking to me, preventing me from breaking away to go potty.  Eventually he ceases speaking long enough for me to make a parting comment.  I make good use of my time, peeing in a few seconds flat.  I’m afraid if I take too long, my new-found buddy will start pounding on the door to make sure I’m still listening to him.

This is when I see it.  Yup.  Inside the bathroom on the wall next to the door near the sink, is a painting.  It’s stuck to the wall, almost as if it should be part of the tile work but is not.  I whip out my cell phone and snap a picture of the abstract art.

Aha!  Victory!

Finally, I am able to snap a picture of some kind of artwork here in this art museum!

I pop my head back into the gallery and give a quick nod to sideways Mona Lisa with her head on all wrong.  I did it, my eyes tell her.  I mocked decorum and will escape with my photograph of a painting after all!

I secure my cell phone back into my pocket and escape the frame by walking straight out the front door, leaving my painted friend hanging on the wall behind me, grinning wryly at the chattering young voices of children who haven’t the slightest inkling as to who she is.