Thursday, April 9, 2015

CARROT RACING ... AND OTHER ANCIENT OPLYMPIC EVENTS



Depression:  Giving students a two-page article full of facts, creating an exact outline of the information to be lifted from the article in the exact order it needs to be lifted, asking said students to spit back information in two complete paragraphs, then spending days … and days … and days … correcting stuff that reads like language from another universe.

I love my students, but this shit is cringe-worthy:

·        The ancient Olympics ended with the chasten empire (Um …. What?)
·        The modern Olympics started in 1896 B.C.  (Uh … almost 3800 years later, kid)
·        Some of the sports included carrot racing (Yes, because the rutabaga was busy.)
·        The torch was lit when five guys jumped in the flame of Hera  (Slut!)
·        Muhammad Ali lit the first torch in 1896 (Sure, and those color pictures were taken with a 19th century digital camera and uploaded to the old-fashioned Web.)

Grading these papers is like throwing acid into my eyes.  I love these kiddos, I truly do, but I swear they are secretly trying to kill me via essay-induced brain rupture. 

If anyone is looking for me, I’ll be sitting at the kitchen table spearing my eyeballs with correcting pens… along with my good pal, that ancient Olympian Muhammad Ali … racing carrots… across the chasten empire.