Sunday, April 19, 2015

BRING ON SUMMER

Recently I admit that I am sorry to see winter go.  In truth, there are several reasons why this is so. Part of it is that the constant and rigorous shoveling has given me biceps of steel.  The other part of it is that I have some free time this winter to enjoy outdoor activities, like snowshoeing.  For once in decades, I am not in school myself, raising children who are in school, or working on a graduate thesis for school.

I feel like I don't get a chance to do enough outdoor activities this winter.  Once I realize I am not under the full-time graduate school hamster wheel, winter ends.

Boo.

Today, though, I get a good dose of reality.

Today I am on Long Island for a lacrosse game.  It is sunny, beautiful, and a whopping 75+ degrees.  Sunscreen is required, capris are on, shoes are off, and hair is pulled back.  I do not notice how wonderful this actually is until I open the door of the car back in my own driveway in Massachusetts.

It's 40 degrees.  40.  Degrees.  As in "8 degrees above freezing."  As in, "It could so snow right now if the atmosphere is colder than the near-land temperature... of 40 ... degrees .... 40."

I think I mean it when I say I am sorry to see winter go.  However, I mean it equally when I also say that I am damn glad to welcome spring and summer.  Carrying beach rocks to the car to take home for my friend's garden edging should maintain my biceps of steel, right?

Bring it.  I'm ready.