Saturday, January 31, 2015

PUBLIC SERVICE MESSAGE



Tonight is neither the night nor the weather for ass-riding.  Wait.  No, that’s not what I mean. 

It’s snowing.  Actually, it has been lightly snowing most of the day.  A quick check of the forecast reveals that today’s mild temperatures and quiet flurries are about to take a turn for the Arctic chill and another measurable snowfall.  Couple the impending Sunday snowstorm with the Super Bowl, and I make a snap decision:  Grocery store.  Now.

I call my friend, and she makes the equally snap decision to tag along and pick up some stuff she needs, too.  The flurries seem to have stopped, so I race over to her house, fighting the snowbanks at each corner for a few inches of visibility.  Every intersection is a multitude of blind corners, and I start to wonder what in the hell we are thinking when we make the decision to go out at all. 

Our trip to the store is surprisingly uneventful except for a quick game of Marco Polo when we get separated in the produce section.  As we exit to the parking lot, we can see that the flurries have gotten serious.  The snow falls steadily, and the wind howls mercilessly.  The mild afternoon rolls into the pissed off evening, dropping large puffs of white onto our coats while we methodically pack grocery bags into the back of my car.

We are less than a quarter mile out of the lot when we see blue flashing lights.  An accident has just occurred, and the police are about to close down the road for the tow truck that barrels at us from the opposite direction.  We crawl past the wreck to freedom beyond.  I am silently thankful that we became separated in the produce aisle and again at the check-out.  A few minutes faster, and we may have been the recipients of the nasty little crash; a few seconds later, and we’d be stuck in an accident reconstruction zone.

This is when I pick up Tail #1. 

Suddenly a vehicle is right on top of us, racing past the injured car like a bat out of Hell, attaching itself to my rear bumper.  Good god, it’s snowing, the streets still aren’t completely clear, and I have Speed Racer trying to give my car the equivalent of a rectal exam.

“That guy’s riding right up my ass,” I observe, half matter-of-fact and half rip-shit.

“Well,” my friend responds, completely dead-pan, “this is neither the night nor the weather for an ass-riding!”

When she realizes what she is saying, we both crack up.  “Text that to me,” I tell her.  We both know where this is going – straight into the blog.

By the time we get back to her house to unload her groceries, it’s snowing at a decent clip, and I know I won’t be staying to help her unpack the bags nor to beg her for a cup of tea.  It’s a hit-and-run stop, not the same kind we just passed in Lowell, but equally dire.  I know I have to get out of there before the roads get too bad in case this squall decides to sit stationary for a while.

I am not even a half mile from her house when I pick up Tail #2.  Tail #2 follows me for a few miles, a big honking SUV attached to my bumper like an overgrown metallic hemorrhoid.  Even though I drive 30 mph in the 30 mph zone and 40 mph in the 40 mph zone and 20 mph in the 20 mph zone, Asshole is up my proverbial asshole.

My friend’s words come wafting back into my head.  It’s snowy, icy, windy, slippery, and downright miserable.  In fact, it's neither the night nor the weather for an ass-riding, folks, and that is my simple public service message for the day.