Sunday, January 4, 2015

SKATING AWAY ... ALMOST



I’ve started cleaning out the basement, little by little.  I was really hoping to have made more progress by now, but I guess if I messed it all up over several years, I cannot expect to un-mess it in a day or two, especially since I am systematically reorganizing as I go. 

It looks a little better down there, so that counts for something.  However, I was really hoping to have it all done before my school break is over.  I’ll shoot for the end of February break.  That seems reasonable enough.

I’ve gotten through all of the toys and games, which in itself is remarkable.  Games are now mostly in my den, so they’re accessible and inviting rather than stuffed on shelves behind lawn chairs, all the while gathering dust and dryer lint.  The toys are on shelves at the top of the cellar stairs in the landing, including dozens of Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars, puzzles, and more crayons and colored pencils and art supplies than anyone could ever need in a lifetime.

I reorganized the tools, which meant actually organizing screws and nuts and bolts and washers and nails along with wrenches and screwdrivers and putty knives and hacksaws and hammers and drills.  I have enough miscellaneous stuff to fix, repair, or Mickey-Mouse pretty much anything around the house until the landlord can come to actually fix it, should anything need fixing, that is.

I went through the camping gear, of which there isn’t much because I stopped camping when I realized that camping with young children meant pretty much bringing the entire house along with me.  I also cleared off more space to repack the Christmas stuff, which I still have not packed away yet.  The Tree is still up and lit, and it may stay that way until next weekend.  Maybe even longer.  I don’t care.

The big hurdle, though, is the sporting goods.  I have a collection of sporting goods that rivals Play It Again Sports.  I started small when it comes to going through all that gear – I started with the two giant plastic tubs full of stuff, some of which has been sealed in the plastic crate since my foot surgery six years ago.  It has been too depressing to even look at it.  Before my foot was rebuilt, it became painful to wear my ice skates, so I stopped ice skating.  I have a pair of old figure skates and a pair of hockey skates, but my pre-surgery right foot no longer fit in either.  The same with my roller blades – packed away because the pain far outweighed the gain.

I unloaded all of my gear along with my kids’ gear, stuff no one touches anymore because feet had grown and no one had time for roller hockey or outgrown cleats anymore.  I hauled each pair of skates and cleats to the top of the stairs, intending to sort which might be in good enough shape to be traded in at the resale shop (Play It Again Sports) and which might go directly to the trash without a second thought.  Then I plunked myself into a fold-out chair and tried stuff on, fully and totally expecting the same pain and the ill-fit to turn my sporting goods pile into a huge, full trash bag.

Instead I was like Cinderella with the glass slipper.  The figure skates, stiff and dusty from neglect, gradually softened enough for me to stick in my foot.  They still fit.  My hockey skates also still fit.  My roller blades not only still fit, they felt comfortable.  Then I tried on gear my kids left behind and realized there were two more pair of hockey skates and a pair of bonafide roller hockey blades that fit me, too, and an old pair of soccer cleats.  Only one pair of small, rusted skates needed to be tossed.  Everything else was salvageable.

Score!  It was like Christmas all over again, and a long six years of post-foot-surgery recovery time vanished into the air of the past.  Not only can I wear shoes and boots again, I can wear skates again.  Skates!  Honest to goodness skates!

All I need now is a frozen pond or a rink.  Back when my own kids were in school, the local college often had open skate times during their school day, and on days when I wasn’t working, I sometimes had the entire hockey rink to myself.  I doubt I’ll be that lucky again, but I’m willing to get right back into the gear and give it a go.

All I need now is to quite literally put my best foot forward … and follow it with my “bionic” foot, now that it actually fits into that long-awaited glass slipper that is mysteriously disguised as several pairs of old skates and some well-broken-in cleats.