Saturday, January 17, 2015

WHINING ABOUT WINE




For Christmas my friend receives a gift certificate to a local wine shop.  I have to be totally honest.  I live a quarter mile from this wine shop, pass it nearly every day, often park in the lot adjacent to the store, and I never, ever knew it was there … for eight years.

Two weeks ago, we finally venture into the shop.  The place is small, so there is no hiding us when we walk in.  The proprietor and a gentleman are drinking wine at the checkout counter.  No one acknowledges our presence, no one offers to help us, and we are blatantly ignored (hard to do in a room the size of a hefty walk-in closet).  We look around, gasp at the prices, and feel lost at the lack of variety and selection. 

A woman enters shortly after we do.  She is in search of a burgundy to make Beef Bourguignon and is met with the words, “Our cheapest burgundy is $45.”

It is at this point that my friend and I kind of shit our pants just a little bit.  We are used to the discount wine store with the incredible prices, stellar selection, and unrivaled weekly tastings.  Oh, and being acknowledged when we enter the premises.

We decide right then and there that the only way that gift certificate will be spent requires actually tasting some of the wines in the shop.  We find a small sign for Thursday evening wine tastings, make an uncomfortable exit, and plan to come back and hope for a better experience.

Thursday arrives, and we brave the slippery, icy flurries to go to the tasting.  Now, even at the most hole-in-the-wall stores, the wine tastings have a decent attendance.  Instead, awkwardly, we are the only two people at the tasting.  Well, there are two men and the proprietor, but it turns out that the two men are somehow connected to the store, part-time employees of some kind.  We mill around stiffly, wishing to just melt into the walls, waiting for someone, anyone, to open a bottle.

While we are trying to make ourselves inconspicuous, we notice that the shelves are much better stocked than the last time we were here, and we notice some of the wines are more reasonably priced.  Perhaps the holiday rush left only the expensive stuff on the shelves two weeks ago. 

Finally, my friend opens up and starts some conversation.  Thankfully, I know enough about tasting wine not to look like an idiot.  Oh, I may still sound like an idiot, but I know the basics – how to hold the glass, how to swirl the wine in the glass, how to suck in air while sipping from the glass, and how to pretend I know the whole chewing thingee.  But I can’t really say much more than, “Hmmmm, interesting … fruity … sharp aftertaste … yummmmmmmmy.”  That is the bulk of my wine-tasting repartee.  Thank goodness my friend’s wine vocabulary is superior.

The conversation goes slowly, almost eerily, until we drink a bit.  I introduce my friend to the wine people as my partner in crime.  “I’m the troublemaker,” I say.

“And I’m your wingman,” she adds.

“Yes,” I agree, “though sometimes it’s a chicken-wing-man and sometimes it’s an eagle-wing-man, depending on what we’re up to.”  Suddenly, I think this sounds ridiculous.  I must be getting drunk.  One of the employees claims it’s a great line and asks to steal it.  What the hell.  Why not?  I’m not that attached to it.

Pretty soon we are all exchanging hearty stories about kids applying to colleges, our jobs, bad dates, and various states of matrimonial distress.  And bottles are opened.  Not the four we are expecting, but three, one custom chosen for my friend.  We sip the same wine several times, buy some bottles, and even get our hands on a few bottles of $36 red that’s a close-out and marked down to $7.99 a bottle, and, no, it’s not shit wine.  The stuff is freaking yummy.  (See, I’m using my extensive wine-tasting vocabulary here.)

After our first impression two weeks ago, we initially approach this evening with trepidation, limited expectations, and lined paper on which to immediately jot down notes about the experience. 

“It wasn’t entirely unpleasant,” I tell my friend as we carry our box full of wine to her car through the snowy parking lot.

She nods in agreement.  “As a matter of fact,” she exclaims smiling, “it got better the more I drank.”  At this, we laugh so hard we almost drop the wine bottles.  Aw, wine buzz.  The best.

Sometimes we crack our bad selves up.  And to think people pay money to go to comedy shows when they can hang around us for free.  Tsk tsk.