Saturday, January 3, 2015

BOOK TYPING



I’m not much of a shopper. 

I despise clothes shopping, mostly because nothing fits and clothing companies don’t make things consistently true to size.  I’m not one to window shop in a mall.  As a matter of fact, the last time I went to the mall, I was on a mission.  Every time someone tried to stop me and give me free samples, I brusquely said, “I don’t have the time,” and waved each one away.  Far away.

Grocery shopping bores me to tears.  On days I know I’ll be grocery shopping, I am agitated all day long.  I don’t relax until I have all the bags loaded into the car and I am pulling out of the parking space.  I can’t stand weaving around incompetent people who don’t understand that aisles are made for all of us, not just them and their stupid carriages.

Shoe shopping is better since I had my foot rebuilt, but I know what I’m looking for.  I’m in and I’m out.  I’m an efficient shoe shopper probably since I went years without being able to wear much other than sneakers and hiking boots.

Book stores, though, are another story.  When I see a book store, I have to go inside.  I don’t care if they’re new books, used books, old books, rare books, resale books, estate sale books, fire sale books … It just doesn’t matter.  I’m there.

It wrenches my heart to think the local bookstore may be going out of business soon.  As a writer, I know that online book sellers are undercutting authors’ earnings.  As a consumer, I buy from those places online quite a bit.  To temper my guilt, I try to patronize local book stores whenever I can.  Recently while pretending to be a tourist in Portsmouth, I drag my sister into one such local book shop.

The books, however, are not the main attraction for me.  No, something far more compelling hits me square in the fingers the moment I walk through the doorway.  Immediately to my right is a display of vintage typewriters.

Yes, typewriters!  For anyone born after 1990, typewriters are like keyboards with ink ribbons attached.  Typewriters print while you’re actually typing the words!  Surprise! 

There is a message by the typewriters, handwritten, ironically enough, to leave a message using one of the older machines.  My eyes grow wide, I can feel them inside my skull, and my fingers start twitching.  The winter gloves come off and get tucked into a coat pocket.  I can feel the electricity radiating from my hands, and I know it’s all in my brain because the typewriter on which I will be typing is unpowered by electrical current. 

It’s a Royal manual typewriter, circa 1949 (or so). 

I start typing and forget I cannot type too fast or the keys will strike each other and jam, which they do.  I pick them apart with my index finger and start again.  Slowly.  Deliberately.  I type a quick message that is something along the lines of this being the coolest thing ever.  After I’m done typing, my sister and I peruse the store.  It’s tempting to buy, but I’m still a few books behind.  Buying another one now would just be folly.

Besides, this gives me good reason to come back in a few weeks … or months … when I’m caught up on my reading.  Perhaps the typewriters will still be there, but, even if they’re not, patronizing the local bookstores might help to keep them open.

Maybe that’s the message I’ll type the next time I encounter a 1949 manual Royal in a small shop that specializes in keeping writers like me in business because it’s all about returning the favor.