Friday, January 16, 2015

AND I SHOVEL

When it comes to sanity, sometimes a blizzard beats flurries.
Take today, for example.
During the day the weather vacillates between snow flurries and freezing rain.
When I go to the parking lot, my car is frozen shut.
I warm it up and scrape it off.
I even scrape the ice off the headlights.
On the drive home, the cars in front of me spit salt and slush onto my windshield.
When I arrive at my driveway, it needs to be shoveled -
Not a lot, but enough.
I park on the side of the road, run inside the house, get the shovel ...
And I shovel.
It takes all of fifteen minutes.
In that time, my car has re-frozen and I have to dust it off again.
My friend texts me: Wine tasting.  Tonight.
I'm in.
It's near my house, so she'll swing by and get me.
I look outside.
Damnit.
More snow.
My shovel and I go out to prep the driveway for company.
I am clearing the snow while I have my pocketbook slung over my shoulder.
It's quite the look.
I shovel enough to make a path to where my friend's car will be.
She pulls in, and I drop the shovel pretty much where it is.
Two hours later, after the wine tasting and dinner, I arrive back at my house.
The shovel is still there, caked in the dry snow from earlier.
No new snow has fallen.
However, my car is re-caked with an icy crust.
At least if this had been a blizzard, I'd only be shoveling once.
I'd only be cleaning off my car once.
Instead, I have several layers of snow piles just from today's multiple trips out with the shovel.
I know it's still early in the year, but ...
Counting down until Spring.
I hope my shovel isn't offended.