Tuesday, January 13, 2015

MMMMKAY



I have to attend a presentation today.  It’s the kind of presentation I detest: someone in education who claims to know better than classroom teachers, and who only knows how to read off his own Powerpoint without making any actual talking points.

Look, guy, I can read.  No, really.  I’m not shitting you, truly, I … can … read.

This poor man tries hard to get the audience engaged, but the presentation is dry.  Wicked dry.  Like toddler teething biscuits dry.  Worse, he sounds and looks exactly like Mr. Garrison from South Park.  All he needs is Mr. Hat, the creepy hand puppet, and the transformation will be complete.  Seriously, this guy even says “Mmmmkay.”

Needless to say, by the time I arrive home, I am completely stir-crazy from sitting still in two different hour-long meetings this afternoon.  I immediately change into workout gear and do a couple of circuits of arms, legs, and abs.  I feel a little better, but I’m still out of sorts, kind of agitated, somewhat pissed off, and generally in a semi-foul mood.  I try working the weights a bit, but it’s not helping much.

I need to hit something.

I have been debating buying one of those punching dummies, but, for now, I set up a thick, foldable mat that I jury-rig into a decent punching bag.  I put on my cheapo fingerless, wrist wrap bag gloves and give it a go.  For fifteen straight minutes.  Sometimes superimposing faces where my fists are connecting with foam. 

I decide to call it a day after this, mostly because I’m exhausting myself and a little bit because I’m hungry for dinner.  The main reason I stop punching, though, is because I feel better.  I truly do feel better after pummeling something with my fists (which only works because the mat cannot punch me back).

Besides, this all helps me to channel my agida, which is wicked important with a temper as short as mine is.

Mmmmkay?