Thursday, January 29, 2015

DON'T RUSH IT

Yesterday I posted pictures of the beach, lamenting how I am dreaming of summer.

Well, the reality is that it's winter, and not even the middle of winter.  We are barely five weeks in.  I know people have been posting stuff all over the social networks about Florida and being sick of winter and all, but, people, get a grip.  Seriously.  You have to quit your bitching or you're going to lose your minds.

Do I enjoy shoveling?  In a way, yes I do.  I'm outside, I'm in my own world, and the snow is downright beautiful (if just slightly annoying).  Besides, if this keeps up, I'm going to have some kick-ass biceps by spring.  The snow is still fresh enough that everything looks clean.  Everything.  Yup, even Lawrence.

Since I posted about the beach yesterday and I'm eating my own words today, I've decided to post a picture that combines both of these topics.  It's from the Presidential 5k I did over Thanksgiving weekend up in Kennbunk ... just after a snowstorm ... when the temperature was a crisp 13 degrees at the starting point.  I could then (and still now can) only run a bit.  Apparently tendonitis is a months-long recovery.  Maybe I'll never be a distance runner of any kind -- I've always been a sprinter -- but the 3.1 mile walk gave me a chance to take in the surroundings and the absolute glorious scenery that I would've missed had I just run on by with only the end in mind.

Summer is my favorite season, but that doesn't mean I hate the rest of them.  So -- here's to the beach and to winter and the incredible thrill of them both together. 

Take a deep breath and regain your sanity, kids; it's going to be a long stretch until spring, and if you rush it, you'll miss the scenery along the way.