Wednesday, January 14, 2015

THE COPY LADY AND WHY I LOVE HER



I love the copy lady.  No, really, I do.  She comes in a couple of times a week for a few months every school year, and she does copying for us.  She saves me valuable time by doing the fighting with jammed machines while I can actually get work done in my classroom.  Love her.

Today, though, I don’t know what the heck happens to her. 

I have everything that I need to have copied all ready to go.  I carefully print out little instruction papers – hole-punch this, single-side that, 100 copies of this … -- and attach each carefully documented instruction sheet to each original.  Every time I do this, I pray to the copy gods that the originals do not get lost or ruined or messed up somehow.  And usually this is a successful strategy.

Usually.

Unfortunately, our printers now have remote-copy access, which means that our printing jobs can be and often are interrupted by people blindly sending jobs from their desk computers.  This would be a great system if their jobs didn’t bump off the jobs of people actually in the copy room using the machines.

This simple glitch sends the copy lady into a frenzy today, and somehow she manages to take four copies of one of my jobs, and she reassigns them into the to-be-copied pile, assuming they are new jobs of some kind. 

When I go to pick up my box of copies, I realize it is heavier than I expected.  It isn’t until I start separating the copies into piles that I realize I have not 100, not 200, not 300, but 700 copies of a graphic organizer for the students to use.  700.  That’s almost a ream and a half of paper just for this one document.

The good news is that I might very well manage to use most of these organizers during the year, and, if not, I can always use them next year.  And the year after that.  And probably even the year after that, and the next year, and probably even another year, to boot.

I do love the copy lady.  She’s so good that she apparently got some of my copying caught up through my next license renewal cycle.  Seriously, though, without her, my life would be infinitely more frustrating, as she is really patient with the jammed machines.  I just kick them.  It may not unjam the works, but it sure does make me feel better.

Now if I can just get over the guilt of having her work extra-hard on my copy job that probably took her an hour longer than necessary of absolutely unnecessary work, I might feel better about this blog entry.