Thursday, January 8, 2015

TIME TO FEEL BAD ABOUT MYSELF



I finally have a moment to myself tonight.  I refuse to bring work home with me, I don’t feel like putting away Christmas stuff yet (maybe this weekend … maybe not), and it’s too damn cold to work in the basement.  Instead, I decide to go through the December magazines that have been sitting in my house since before Thanksgiving; you know, the magazines with the holiday ideas inside.

Obviously, these great ideas do not help me with this most recent holiday season.  I see a few ideas that will help me next year, but mostly I notice that there are a lot of articles about menopausal women and diets.

Look, these publishers need to get with the damn program.  This is the one time of year that I can forget, pretend, deny that I am both menopausal and a little paunchy.  I know I shouldn’t eat the Reese’s peanut butter cups in the candy bowl.  I understand that an entire candy cane is not exactly equal to a Tic-Tac.  I accept the fact that family parties mean food will be served, and that it would be impolite not to indulge.  I want cookies and sweets and drinks and dips and cooked foods and crackers and processed cheese.

Isn’t it enough that Christmas has been relegated to mere “holiday” status?  Do the Powers That Be now have to bring so much attention to my somewhat rotund belly? 

Here’s a newsflash to any svelte and professionally-toned pseudo-realists in the publishing world:  I’m not only middle-aged and menopausal, I’ve birthed three children.  I’m carrying around some body fat.  So there.

I eat as well as I can, but sometimes during this ridiculously busy time of year, I only have time to grab a glass of wine and a Hershey’s kiss.  Sometimes I reason that wine is okay because it’s made from grapes, and grapes are fruits, so technically wine qualifies as juice … in my brain.

Note to magazine publishers:  Keep the December issues focused on the holidays – concentrate on Christmas and Hanukkah (and Kwanzaa, if you must, but I’m not yet completely on board with a holiday that was invented in my lifetime) crafts and food.  Write about blessings and gifts and memories and celebrations.  Keep your writing slim and focused, and spend more time cutting the fat from your own bottom line before preaching at me about cutting the fat from my bottom … line.

When January comes along, and by the way this month’s issues ARE distributed in December before the holidays, then you may focus on helping us help ourselves.  Let January be the month of resolutions and betterment.  But, for the love of all things holiday, leave December alone and let us for one simple month suspend the reality of our over-indulgent, fat-bottomed ways.

Now, if you don’t mind, my detox water and light lunch have given way to crescent rolls and a nice chunk of last night’s homemade lasagna.  December can bite my fat ass, and January can tone it back up again.  This is the reality of a middle-aged, menopausal woman’s life.

Oh, yes, and we are extremely hormonal.  Publishers might want to consider that and stick to the happy, nostalgic side of the holidays and leave the rest to the New Year, when we already feel bad about ourselves.