Monday, January 12, 2015

THE ADVENTURES OF SCIENCE DUDE


(What it looked like in August)

Sometimes I go to lunch in the school cafeteria and sometimes I stay in my classroom.  I eat; I mean, don’t get me wrong, I’m not starving myself.  It’s just that the school configuration means I walk a very long way to the lunch room, and I only have twenty-two minutes including hall duty time, which brings it down to about seventeen minutes.  Taking five total minutes to walk to and from the caf almost seems like wasted time.

Plus, it has been too flipping cold to leave the warmth of my classroom.  Sometimes it’s nice to sit and enjoy the peace, the quiet, and the temperature above fifty-five degrees.  It is this occurrence that brings a colleague to my classroom. 

Years ago when I taught the same grade level this guy does, we had rooms separated by the home economics classroom.  He would sneak through that connecting room, lurk between stoves, silently open my side door, and blast an air horn into my room.  Then he would run away. 

Good times, actually.

We are in a different building now.  My room is in the same wing as the offices of both the superintendent and the assistant superintendent, so this part of the school sees a lot of visitors.  This colleague, a grade eight science teacher, happens to be visiting the super’s office when he hears the tap-tap-tap of my computer keyboard echoing down the deserted seventh grade hallway.  These days, though, it’s almost impossible for him to sneak up on me because he broke his foot and has it in a cast-boot.  I can hear him kerplunking down the hall long before he sticks his head into my open doorway.

SCIENCE DUDE:  I thought I heard someone typing away down here.
ME:  Yup, I’m typing my blog.  I don’t have time to do it later.
SCIENCE DUDE:  You have a blog?

(I’m reasonably certain he’s heard this fact before.)

ME:  Yup.
SCIENCE DUDE:  How often do you write your blog?
ME:  Every day.  Every damn day for more than two years.
SCIENCE DUDE:  A professional blog?
ME:  It’s as unprofessional as it gets.
SCIENCE DUDE:  Do you ever write about school?
ME:  (pausing … he is the union president, after all)  Um … sometimes.

(SCIENCE DUDE ponders this for a moment.)

ME:  But I write under a pseudonym. 

(SCIENCE DUDE nods slowly.  I’m hoping he knows what a pseudonym is and doesn’t think I have some sort of mental disorder, as if that isn’t obvious enough by my choices of writing topics.)

SCIENCE DUDE:  Do you write about the people you work with?
ME:  Sometimes.

(SCIENCE DUDE digests this while tilting his head slightly at an angle.)

SCIENCE DUDE:  Have you ever written about me?

(I break into a very broad and somewhat evil grin.)

ME:  I will now.


Truth is, I probably have mentioned this teacher before.  He’s the guy we invite to dive bars where he orders fru-fru girlie drinks with umbrellas and fruit in them.  I may or may not have related the story of how when he first broke his foot he needed a wheelchair to get up our 400-yard long ramp between wings.  The ramp is about a sixty-degree gradient from bottom to top, and he didn’t have the stamina to wheel himself up the whole ramp, so I got a running start and pushed him to the top myself. 

No biggie. 

I used to do judo.  I carried men on my back and in my arms and dragged them up and down mats as exercise, men who were heavier than I was because I only weighed about 112 pounds.  Back then.  I weigh more now, so I figured I should be able to carry, drag, and push this guy and his chair up the ramp with little problem, despite my Achilles tendonitis and lack of recent weight training.

I am happy to report that SCIENCE DUDE did not hurtle back down the ramp to oblivion, and I did manage to push him to the top of the ramp.  I’m also happy to report that he no longer even needs crutches, so he calumphs loudly down the hallway, unable to sneak up on anybody.

But, mostly, I am super-elated to report that SCIENCE DUDE has officially made the blog, with his very own entry… which he will probably never read … because he’ll be too busy plotting a way to get me back for writing this and letting the world know he drinks fru-fru drinks.

It’s okay.  I can always hide in the caf at lunch, and, for a few more weeks, anyway, I can outrun the gimpy SCIENCE DUDE, if necessary.