Wednesday, January 7, 2015

LASANGA ENERGY BOOSTER



I have a strange burst of energy over the last two days.  Perhaps it’s being back in a routine; perhaps it’s starting to feel better from the cold I’ve been fighting off.  Whatever it is, it starts last night when, at 9:50 p.m., hours after making chicken broccoli ziti alfredo, I start cooking up hamburger and dicing peppers and onions.  I clean up the kitchen and call it a night.

This morning I dump these ingredients into the crock pot along with some kitchen ready tomatoes, some tomato paste, and a boat-load of seasonings. All day long I think about that tomato sauce cooking away, waiting for me to get home.  Even the snow squalls don’t phase me because my youngest, who is home from college, shovels and puts down icy melt before I arrive. 

When I open the front door, the house smells amazing.

I throw together a lasagna and some crescent rolls, along with a pumpkin bread because I want some to go with my lunch tomorrow.  I also do a load of laundry and a few chores in the basement (another dent in that project), pack away leftovers (some in the fridge and some in the freezer), load the dishwasher, and I order some stuff online (for myself, of course).

Nearing 10:00 p.m., I am wired and ready to take on the world, but if I don’t get some sleep, I’ll be shit-on-a-shingle tomorrow at work.  Maybe it’s stemming from two-days straight of truly homemade dinners.  I don’t know, but I sure hope I wake with this much ambition tomorrow.  I have an awful lot of crap to get done at school, and this energized roll would make my entire desk (file cabinet, shelves…) look a hell of a lot better.

Here’s to Wednesday – I’ll see if I can stretch that strange burst of energy one more day.