Tuesday, January 20, 2015

GETTING OUR EXERCISE ... AND SHOES



I have decided to pretend that I’m healthy.

Oh, sure, I was healthy before this, but I’m getting a little tired of my body turning on me.  If it’s not bouts of pneumonia, it’s hip bursitis, or Achilles tendonitis, or migraines, or vertigo, or flipping menopause… this could go on and on until the complaints are longer than a Thanksgiving grocery list.

The truth is I’m not unhealthy, but I sure as heck could be healthier.  So I invest in some exercise equipment.

The first requirement is that the equipment needs to be something I’ll actually use.  I have a universal set in the basement that is only used intermittently, and it has basically been a coat-rack and snowboard holder for a year now.  The second requirement is that I must be able to lift the boxes when they are delivered to the store for pick-up because I have to get them into the house by myself.

I am waiting for an email that the two boxes have arrived at the store, but it turns out I am supposed to be checking the website myself, instead.  I figure this out a few days before the stuff is shipped, so it only sits at the store for a couple of days when I forget to check the site over and over again.  Friday night I figure out where my equipment is – Salem, NH – so Saturday I plan to pick the stuff up and, with any luck at all, figure out how it all goes together.

I sleep late on Saturday, rolling out of bed around 9:00 a.m.  This is when my sister calls.  “What are your plans for today?”

So I tell her: Pick up the boxes at the mall, stop at a couple of craft stores, pick up a zipper for a fleece vest repair at the fabric store, spend my $10 coupon at DSW, hit a local wine tasting of Argentinian Malbecs, and maybe go to Boston Chowder for lunch.

She’s in.  It means she has to drive seventy-five minutes from Maine, but she’s in.

Once she arrives, we take my car to New Hampshire.  The automated machine is down, so we go find a clerk, which takes about ten minutes, but we are told to go knock on the window in the service area (a window which does not exist, by the way).  By this time the machine is back up and running.  Within five minutes, the rather charming service guy has two boxes loaded into my car.  Neither box weighs more than 50 pounds.  So far, so good.

We make a few other stops, including waiting in line twenty-five minutes to buy a zipper for 25% off, and a stop in at the clearance shoe section of DSW, then decide that, yes, we will head over to the wine tasting.  We sip some Malbecs and decide that three are acceptable.  I came into the store for Pinot Gris, and I’m leaving with a Malbec.  Wrong color and everything.  It is, as my wine vocabulary will tell you, “yummy.”

We head over to Boston Chowder for lunch, which is also yummy, then head back to the house to deal with the boxes.  I bring one box in by myself, but it takes two of us to maneuver the second one in to the house.  I probably could’ve dragged it myself, but it would’ve taken me a while. 

This is where I really need my sister’s help.  I cannot follow directions for the life of me, especially and even when pictures are involved.  I have some sort of mental block when it comes to constructing things.  We manage to get the manual treadmill put together without too much trauma.  The rowing machine, though, is almost a disaster.  We search around like crazy for eight missing bolts … until we realize that the factory already installed them, we just have to loosen them … and … just … have to … loosen … loosen …

One of the bolts is stuck.  Thanks, factory installers.  My sister Googles “stuck factory installed bolts when putting together equipment” or some such other brilliant combination, and is instantly told to apply hot water.  We both think this will expand rather than shrink the bolt, but we do as we are told anyway, and, damn if the Internet isn’t correct.  Seconds later, the bolt is free.

It only takes us two hours and one more small glass of wine each to finish putting together the exercise equipment.  Had my sister not been here to help, I’d still be trying to put the damn stuff together.  As it is, I’ve actually used it several times.  And I’ve almost completely redone the universal in the basement. 

This may actually be my healthy New Year, after all.

That’s not the best part of this story, though.  The best part of this story would be the shoes.  That’s right.  The shoes.  I buy myself another pair of sneakers and a pair of suede lace-back boots, and my sister finds a pair of suede and patent leather heels for her concert gigs (she’s a singer of many talents). 

This year I can be healthy … or not … but, either way, my feet will look marvelous, and sometimes that’s all it takes in life to feel better about myself.