Wednesday, December 3, 2014

YOU KNOW WHAT I MISS?



You want to know what I miss?  I miss being an assistant manager of a book store, that’s what I miss.  You want to know what else I miss?  I miss having time to read.

I’ve had a lot of jobs and a lot of different careers.  I excelled at being retail assistant managers not because I like telling people what to do – I actually don’t – but because I’m good at math.  Damn good at math.  I can balance a drawer like it’s nobody’s business … because it isn’t anybody else’s business except the assistant manager’s business.

The best part about the bookstore job was the discount.  Oh sure, I got a fabulous discount at the fabric store, too, but sewing and I never really clicked too well.  Reading and I clicked the moment I picked up my first book.  Working at the bookstore let me combine my two greatest academic loves: Reading and math.

I love math.  I love algebra.  I love trigonometry.  I go crazy over quadratic equations.  And I love, love, love to read.

There just isn’t enough time in the day to read.  I used to get all kinds of magazines, but I cancelled a lot of them because I ended up getting backlogged a few months at a time until I got a break from school and could sit down and read them all.  I felt guilty waiting so long to read them and missing out on timely articles like “How to Grill for the Fourth of July” … in October when I finally got to it.  I’m starting to reintroduce magazines back into my life, though. 

Which is another thing.  I crave the paper in my hands.  I don’t have a Kindle.  I don’t want a Kindle.  I need to have the book in my physical possession.  I’m tactile like that, and olfactive --  There is nothing in the world like the smell of a book.  Ever gone into a store that sells old or rare books?  Yup, then you know the smell I’m talking about.  I melt just walking around a book store.  Screw Amazon – It’s not the same.  I want to see the books, touch the books, smell the books.  (And count them sometimes, just to get the math rush.)

I miss having time to read.  It’s a pity I actually have to work for a living, and it’s a pity I’m not a junior editor somewhere so I can read books all day long.  Maybe I’ll get fired from my job.  I did send off a couple of controversial emails yesterday to colleagues who seem to think my professional opinion is unimportant.  Maybe I’ll get hauled into the office and placed on administrative leave. 

Then -- I can read.  I can read all day and all night (which I sometimes do, when I can).  I’ll read every damn book in my giant library.  I’ll read the book my brother-in-law lent me that I haven’t gotten to yet.

I’ll read until the words come out of my ears and eyes and nostrils.  I’ll read until it hurts as much as it hurts right now not having time to read.  I miss books; I hope they miss me, too.