Sunday, December 21, 2014

KARMA WEARS HIKING BOOTS



My friend and I go to a wine tasting today.  It isn’t a grand tasting, which means there is only one table of multiple wines, a very manageable task.  That is, until the chowder.

That’s right.  Chowder.

You see, we are planning on going to two more small wine tastings in the area, so we decide we should put something in our stomachs.  Since my parking space is very near to the Boston Chowda Company restaurant, we head in to see what’s what.

My friend orders the clam chowder; I order the corn chowder.

In the middle of our impromptu snack, my friend’s cell phone rings.  It is her friend calling from out of the country.  I signal for her to chat as long as she needs, and I take out my own cell phone and start playing games with my cyber pals.

My friend is still engaged in her phone conversation when it comes time to move along.  She stands up, one-arms herself into her jacket, and gets herself ready while still connected and balancing the phone on her shoulder.

I go to stand up, and …

… Nothing.

My legs will not move because I cannot separate my feet.

Now, I know what you’re thinking.  You’re thinking, “Oh, my God, the chowder at that place is so amazing that Heliand has become paralyzed!” 

Perhaps you’re even thinking, “Holy shit.  One little wine tasting and the bitch cannot walk.”

Actually, it’s neither of those two things.  It seems that while I have been playing on my phone, I decide to cross my feet under the table.  I am wearing hiking boots and heavy socks, trying to strike fear into Old Man Winter.  Instead, all I’ve managed to do is accidentally hook the loop of one boot lacing onto the hook attachment of the opposite boot.

Somehow I have tied my own shoelaces together and cannot pry my feet apart.

This dilemma in and of itself is hilarious.  It’s such a “me” thing to do.  I am so clumsy that I don’t need anyone else to trip me up; I am completely capable of doing this all by myself.  I try to get my friend’s attention, but I know her call is wicked important, so I scoot to the end of the booth, hoping to give my cohort the visual of the whole situation.

Then, just as suddenly as it happened, my boots unlock themselves from each other, and I am able to move again.  The moment is gone. 

Of course.  Thanks, karma. 

More wine tasting is back on the agenda; my friend’s phone call goes well, and I am not my own victim of a marvelous prank that only I can pull off.