Thursday, December 18, 2014

INVASION OF THE WORST KIND



It is being reported that a fourteen-year-old kid shot at two intruders who broke into the North Carolina home where he was inside with his grandmother.  The two suspects broke in at 5:00 in the afternoon.  Yup, right at dusk like two cockroaches in the semi-dark.

You know what?  The teenager killed one of those useless bastards.  Thank God for that. 

I only wish he’d hit them both, not because I want the boy to be scarred for life.  I think the kid is a hero.  Those assholes might have killed the kid and that older woman.  Instead, this young man used his brains (and his training and his gun knowledge) and saved us some endless supply of welfare and sympathy to someone who doesn't want to be a decent part of a decent society.  Sure, we’ll be paying for the scum’s brother, who got himself caught for being a dumb-fuck, but one piece of garbage is now off the humanity dole permanently.

Do I sound radical?  Is this the tune of a gun-toting nut-job?

Last night as I was getting ready for bed, I heard a loud noise outside of my back door, mere feet from where I was standing brushing my teeth.  It was a man’s voice, yelling violently and throwing things around.  This was all seemingly happening right on my patio, right there on my doorstep.

At first I thought it might be the neighbors, annoyed at their little dog that sometimes wanders away and takes its time returning to the front porch of its own home.  But the voice, the pounding – it was too threatening, too violent.

I crawled up the stairs under the cloak of darkness, meanwhile burning bright every damn light downstairs to present the illusion that lots of people were home other than just me alone.  I looked through the sheer curtain from my son’s bedroom window and spied the new neighbors next door having a heated argument.  Someone inside had slammed the front door and apparently locked all access to the house.  The man, tall and stocky, was wailing on the front door as if his fists were battering rams, all the while screeching his lungs out.

Somewhere in the neighborhood another dog started barking, not the little sometimes-lost dog.  This enraged the man even more, and he started yelling even louder.  I crept back and made sure all of my doors were locked, including the one coming up from the basement. 

And I honestly wondered how much damage the BB and air soft guns might muster should I need them. 

As I read the story about the boy and his grandmother being assaulted and invaded in near-daylight, I remember how I felt last night, and I wasn’t really in any immediate danger … unless the raging man saw me looking out the window.  Then, my property and I would be in deep shit.  If he got that mad about a barking dog mocking him, imagine what he’d do to a witness.

I understand how and why that teenager felt the need to unlock that gun and aim it.  I even understand how and why he fired it. 

This is what the world is coming to, and I hope no stupid judge allows the mother of the brother-criminals to sue for wrongful death.  The kid will have to live with this for the rest of his life – and he is alive because he had the brains, the guts, and the reflexes to do what needed to be done under extremely adverse conditions inside his own home.

I’m willing to listen to other sides of the story.  I’m open-minded enough to take in another point of view, but bear in mind that I am a long-time FID cardholder and an interested, hopefully soon-to-be licensed-to-carry gun owner. 

Last night nearly scared the living daylights out of me.  I’d rather be cleaning someone else’s blood off the wood floors than being the helpless victim to some useless piece of shit invading my home.  I would hope that if it were my family, my children, my loved ones, (or, God forbid, my students – your children) that I would have the brains, the guts, and the reflexes to do exactly what needed to be done, and to do it with precision and without compunction.

If self-preservation sounds radical, then, hell, I guess I’m a radical.  An “alive” radical, mind you, but a radical, just the same.