Wednesday, December 10, 2014

SLIP 'N' SLIDE

We are having a Nor'Easter.  My area is supposed to get mostly rain, but it freezes so fast this morning as it hits the cold streets that my driveway is a skating rink.  This I discover as I go to put out the bag of garbage on my way to my car for work.  (Thankfully, I put out the recycling the night before.)

 I step out of my front door and almost wipe out, which isn't really the funny part.  My driveway has a slant to it, and I slide right past my car, down, down, down the short but slick brickwork, the large garbage bag flailing along with me.  I realize I won't make it all the way to the regular trash spot by the road, so I turn my body and attempt to slide to the stone wall.  As soon as I can grab it, I hook my free hand into the evergreen tree.  With my other hand, I hurl the bag toward the street, hoping its contents don't explode all over the sidewalk.

I crawl back up along the wall until I am above the car.  The Icy Melt I bought the other day is still in the back of my vehicle, so I'm heading for the tailgate.  I overshoot the car slightly and grab a door handle as I sail by.  Hand over hand, handle over handle, I make my way to the Icy Melt.

This is the funny part.  I must look like Buster Keaton or Harold Lloyd pulling some old-time movie stunt.  I have to admit, I'd pay big money to be a spectator watching my driveway skating routine.

As I am spreading the road-salt gingerly in front of me, a pickup truck crawls down my street, another hill.  It takes me a few seconds to realize the truck is completely ice-borne, and it careens sideways into the dangerous intersection, almost getting hit head-on by two mini-vans.

I decide to salt the street, as well, so I don't pull the same stunt.

Twenty minutes after I have started taking out the garbage while leaving my house, my car and I have reached the end of my street (maybe 100 yards) and am slip-sliding into another intersection.  Thankfully, the receiving street and the ones I drive on to work have been salted. 

I don't mind the snow, and I don't mind the rain.  The black ice I can live without.  Literally.