Saturday, December 6, 2014

SHUTTING DOWN A SCHOOL

Friday a local middle school (not mine) is closed due to the stomach flu.

Ew.  Just ew.

My first thought is this:  Food service workers.  After all, it seems highly unlikely that one school is so severely affected as opposed to the elementary schools, which are inherently places of snotty noses and sneeze patrols.

But, what do I know?  My school is Strep Central right now.  I'd rather have strep than the flu, to be honest.

Now watch me curse myself and get hit with both.

My second thought is this:  The poor janitorial staff.  I've already had one case of Puker on the Loose in my room this year.  Luckily, the kiddo made it to the bucket, but still.  Once one pukes, they all feel like puking.  I feel like puking.  Everyone thinks about puking for the rest of the day.

It's like lice.  All you have to do is hear the word and your scalp starts itching.  Yours is itching right now, isn't it?

If only this flu epidemic were more "power of suggestion" and less "disease."  Doubt it, though.  I think I'll restock my classroom Lysol supply.  The holidays are coming, and I don't have time to be sick.  In the meantime, send positive thoughts to that poor middle school.  When hundreds of 'tweeners and new teens get sick at the same time, there just isn't enough sawdust in the world to take care of that mess.

Stay healthy, my friends.