Sunday, December 7, 2014

NO CATERWAULING ZONE



I work with kids all day, every weekday, for ten months every year.  Sure, sure, I “get the summers off,” which means I write curriculum for two months and don’t get paid for it.

Whatever.  This blog entry isn’t about my schedule or why I have a love/hate relationship with my career choice.

It’s about going to lunch.  That’s right, going to lunch.

Today a teacher friend of mine and I go shopping.  I teach middle school kids, and she teaches elementary school kids.  After hours of perusing through stores, we decide it certainly must be time to fuel-up at a local watering hole.  There are plenty of family-friendly restaurants around – McDonalds, Applebees, Panera, etc. – so we figure an adult-oriented place would be in order. 

We decide to go to the British Beer Company.

We were here a few weeks ago after a long trip to Connecticut to liberate my friend’s “illegally borrowed” purse.  What we remember about the place is that there weren’t any children there.  None. The place is predominantly a barroom, and it is dark, musky, and a little over-priced for the menu.

In other words, it’s a perfect place to avoid children.

We walk in, adjust our eyes to the dimness, and are greeted by the hostess.  I say nonchalantly, “Seat us anywhere but near children … not that there’d be any here in an adult-fare restaurant…”

She promptly leads us to a table … next to a family with kids and within proximity of the screaming toddler at another table.

Without even sitting down, I protest loudly, “No.  No, no, no, no, no, no…. NO.”

My friend, who is far more articulate than I, translates for me.  “This won’t do.  Find us a booth in the bar.”

I don’t even give a shit if my outburst offends the families.  So what -- they have a right to bring their ankle-biters into a finer restaurant; not everyone wants to take their young family for fast food.  I understand this.  What I do not understand is the screaming.  Why … why … why on God’s green earth would you allow your child to howl away in a public place like that?  The parents aren’t even attending to the child, just letting its lungs roll on.

I can’t be mad at the kid, either.  I mean, the British Beer Company is a foreboding and dark place with dark brown furnishings and walls and ceilings.  It’s not exactly a visual fun house.  I can, though, be a little ticked off at the parents who don’t bother to attend to their child nor remove him from the premises until he calms down (you know, like take a quick walk around the building or just get some air in the front lobby).  It’s what most of us would do (and have done) when our kids disturb other patrons in any place of business.  No, I cannot be mad at the child.

I can be, and am, royally pissed off at the hostess who takes my one request (I don’t want to sit near children) and attempts to put me smack-dab in the center of not only children, but children in chaos.

Look, I like your kids … a lot.  I spent much of Friday talking a girl off the figurative ledge when she arrived to my class sobbing about having to stay after school to finish a math test because it would interfere with dance class.  I pat your child’s back when he vomits into my trash bucket.  I cheer your child on when I see her suddenly understanding a difficult concept as all the lights turn on in her eyes.  I pop into band practice to tell your kids how terrific they all sounded playing together at our Veterans Day assembly.  I greet them in the hallways every morning with “Welcome, children, it’s a beautiful day!” and send them away every afternoon with “Go home children, goooo hooooome!  Be safe.”

However, when I’m out for lunch, paying $20 or more for my plate (and a beer), the last thing, the very last thing I want to hear is your child caterwauling.  I am inspired by the Monty Python Holy Grail Ale that I am drinking, and I take some advice from Chapman’s King Arthur when he meets the rabbit:

RUN AWAY.  RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!