Monday, December 15, 2014

ADVENT GOES HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY

Today marks the third Sunday in Advent.

I like the third Sunday.  First of all, I can light the odd-colored candle (unless I'm using all blue, which I am not).  Mostly, though, I like this part of the season of Advent because it represents a change from all the solemn reflection and ushers in party time.

No, truly.

The first Sunday is all about "HOPE" -- It's a Worry-Wart's hand-wringing holiday.  The week of Advent Hope reminds me of Eyeore at the psychotherapist's office.  It's all about anxiety; it's all about what's not right in my world and hoping it will right itself before the candle's wax melts away.

The second Sunday in Advent is all about "PEACE."  'Nuff said.  The world doesn't have it, but I'm willing to light that candle every night during Advent ... you know ... just in case.

Today's candle?  "JOY." That's right, joy.

Joy means we're past all the angst are ready to start partying.  I celebrated JOY today by working on some gifts and other holiday-related chores.  This kind of activity brings me joy in both the doing and in the crossing off of the list.

Plus, today chocolate is involved.  If that doesn't bring JOY, there's very little left to look forward to in the world.

In the Advent-rich words of the inimitable Ren and Stimpy, "Happy, happy, JOY, JOY."  Happy joy, indeed.