Monday, December 8, 2014

NATIONAL BROWNIE DAY

Today is National Brownie Day.

In honor of National Brownie Day, which I happen to think is a great cause to celebrate, I baked brownies on Sunday.  I cheated and used the pre-packaged, powdered mix-in-a-bag, boxed version that has been my go-to for years. 

However, when I was a kid, I liked nothing better than making brownies from scratch.

I would get out the double-boiler and all the supplies, making a complete and total mess.  It all started with chunks of unsweetened chocolate, tons of sugar, and a glass baking dish like the one I still use for the "cheating" version.

The best part about baking brownies is saving a little bit of batter, maybe three or four teaspoons worth, to scrape out of the bowl while chugging a glass of ice cold milk and watching the pan of brownies bake in the oven.

After I baked the box-to-batch brownies yesterday, I cut them into small, gooey-chocolate bricks and packed them in shrink wrap and wax paper.  By the way, wax paper is the magic ingredient to keep food fresh.  It's probably the most important (if only) cooking/baking tidbit my mother ever shared with me.

Will I bring them to work?  Well, I'll bring a brownie or two in my lunch, but I won't be sharing them with my team or with anyone else.  I admit I made more than I need, but I simply don't have enough to share.

Oh, well.  What are the holidays for if not to bake, eat, and get chunky?

Happy National Brownie Day, everybody.