Sunday, December 28, 2014

SATURDAY TASTINGS




Sometimes Saturday is Wine Tasting Day.

There are three liquor stores close to my house that host Friday night beer tastings (sometimes) and Saturday afternoon wine tastings (always).  I have a route mapped out, as I have mentioned before in this blog, and I time it so that I can hit all three tastings within about 75-90 minutes, including travel time.

I think I am unique in my strategy, but today that bubble bursts.

This week I can only find two of the three usual tastings listed in my email “in” box, so I plan for just the two stops today. 

I arrive at destination #1 to find a six-bottle (perhaps it’s more) table set up with all kinds of champagne, with the coup de gras at the end:  an $85 bottle of champagne (on sale at the store for $63).  It truly is great champagne, but I don’t think my palette will ever be able to discern an $8 from a $15 bottle from a $20 bottle to a $63 bottle.

I buy the $8 champagne (which is pretty darn tasty) and head to the next tasting.

The second place has a four-bottle table set up.  A couple has just arrived, so we start the tasting together.  A few more people come by – a girl wearing a college sweatshirt, and a couple that looks vaguely familiar, so I’ll call them That Guy (and wife).  Here we start with the more expensive and work down the cheaper ones. Nothing really lights my fancy. 

Afterward, I roam the aisles comparing prices on the champagnes from one store to the other.  This is where I run into That Guy and his wife again.

ME:  Are you looking for an inexpensive bottle of champagne?

THAT GUY:  Yeah, nothing too ridiculous.

ME:  (pointing to a bottle that was about $16 at the other store and $18 here)  This stuff is pretty good, and it’s got a decent price on it.  I was just at another tasting and I had it.

THAT GUY:  Were you at the wine store in the old village?

ME:  Yes … were you?

At this point, three of us are laughing, me and That Guy and his wife.  We chat for a few moments about how we are each doing The Unofficial Saturday Circuit.  I already bought myself a bottle of champagne at the last place, so I head to the back for a six pack of Budweiser in bottles that I can drag out of the massive cooler.

As I’m finishing up my sale, I call out, “See you next Saturday!”

That Guy laughs.  “Sorry,” he says, sounding genuinely apologetic, “but we’ll be away next weekend.”

“Then, the Saturday after that,” I reply.

The conversation ends and all is right with the world again.  I grab my beer, add it to the other brown bag on the floor behind my seat in the car, and start counting away until next Saturday.