Tuesday, December 16, 2014

GET IN LINE ... OR NOT



I finally finish packing up the gifts that need to be mailed.  This would all be wonderful if I had remembered to buy more packing tape, but I forgot when I went to the store earlier, so now I am stuck with the tape I have left, which is dwindling.

I tape one box shut, the largest of the bunch, and realize I forgot something.  I cut through the tape (there’s a few feet wasted) and repack the top of the stuff, adding in the nearly-forgotten stuff.  I have four packages that need to be shipped:  two small ones, one medium one, and one too large to fit in the weigh-it-and-ship-it-yourself chute at the local post office.  I also have about 80% of my cards ready to go and a stack of bills that need to be mailed.

After packing and wrapping and addressing and taping everything, I notice I forgot to pack something else into one of the smaller boxes.  I get another small box and create package #5.  Now I have two small packages, a semi-small package, a medium-sized package, and THE BOX.

No matter how I play this, that large package is going to be a deal-breaker.  Sometime today I am going to have to stand in a line to get the damn thing shipped.  It’s my own fault, too.  I put some large-sized, heavier items in the box.  It will cost a small fortune to ship it all, but it’s cheaper than driving and delivering it all myself.

Early this morning, I crawl to the post office under the cloak of semi-darkness.  There is an automated postal machine there, so I pop in quickly, as if anyone else will be mailing anything at 6:40 on a Monday morning.  (They are, but they have the good sense to use the drive-by mailbox.)  I quickly weight the small and medium packages, stick the postage labels on, and crank them into the chute. 

I look at the large box.  I think maybe … But, no.  There is no way that box is fitting.  I will end up hauling it back out to my car, which is in the front-row parking space since I am the only clown doing any real postal business at the moment.

I take the cards and bills and dump them into the mail slot around the corner from the postal machine.  All is right with the world!  My packages are on their way!  Except …

… Except Big Bertha the Box from Hell.

I am running late to work now, having spent fifteen precious minutes in the post office lobby in an attempt to avoid standing in a line after work.  You see, I have a meeting after work, which means I will get to the post office late, which means I’ll be stuck in traffic, which means I will be standing in line, which means I have hardly gained anything from my early morning jaunt to the p.o.  The trade-off is now sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic on the one access road to my school and the new high school as we all attempt to jockey for a position that will get us into our respective buildings before lunchtime.

All day long I stew about having to stand in line again, my evasive morning tactic gaining me nothing.  A colleague says she is leaving school during her prep period to go to the post office to mail a package.  I should go with her, but I have too much to do before getting to my meeting on time.  This makes me stew even more.  If I were a pot roast, I’d be falling apart right about now.

I remember that there is a UPS store about ¾ of a mile from my house.  It’s right next to a little packy I frequent.  (For anyone outside of Massachusetts, the packy is the local liquor store, or any liquor store, for that matter.)  I sit at my desk - I have ten minutes before I truly have to report to my meeting, so I attempt to look up the UPS store online.  Is this store a shipping store?  Is it for residential and businesses or just for businesses?  What are the hours?  Etc., etc., etc.

Hahahahahaha.  Stupid, stupid me trying to actually use the Internet at work!  Hahahahahahahahahahaha! The Internet hardly ever works at work!  Our network supports maybe three computers out of the hundreds in our building.  I am such a frigging moron thinking I can actually get a Net-based answer in less than two hours, let alone the ten minutes that I have. 

I head to my meeting none the wiser and still stewing about standing in line later.  Goddamn school network.

When I leave the school an hour later, I know that there is a post office across the street.  The parking lot is small, and I can see from the school driveway that cars are stuck in the street trying to pull in to the place.  Plus, I don’t really want anyone from the town in which I work having my personal address, nor do I want to make idle chitchat with parents.  I have things to do, places to go, people to see, packages to ship.

Now comes the critical decision – Go to the post office near my house and wait in line on the reportedly busiest shipping day of the holiday season (possibly the year), or … take a leap of faith and hit the UPS store.

Driving down the main street, I am still not sure what I am going to do until I near the decisive intersection and find myself turning toward the UPS store.  What the hell.  So I blow another fifteen minutes then go wait in line at the post office, anyway.  Whatever.

The lot is tiny, room for about six cars, but there are two public lots within spitting distance.  I wait for a car to back out and grab a front-row space here, just as I had at the p.o. in the morning darkness.  I carry my package in and see there is a line … of one person.  A second attendant comes over and offers to help me.  The time it takes me to enter the store and get Big Bertha the Box from Hell onto the scale for shipping has topped off at about twenty seconds.

Do I want to insure it?  Sure.  Guess what?  It’s included.  When will it arrive?  I don’t even have to wonder because the UPS guy says, “It will be there tomorrow afternoon.”

Say, what?  Wait a minute, wait a minute.  You mean to tell me that in the thirty or so seconds I’ve been in this place, you’re telling me for the same, probably less, amount of money the p.o. is charging me, I get free insurance AND it’s like an express delivery?

Shut up.


I am so damn excited that I hand the guy cash and rifle through my wallet.  Thank goodness – I have enough cash left for a six-pack of beer at the packy next door.  I mean, I’ve got to celebrate.  This whole “avoiding the major line” thing is a complete and total victory.  As I stand there dumbfounded that I am done and everything has shipped and that it has all been painless and stress-free, I’m suddenly feeling an impromptu party atmosphere invading my afternoon.  One package store to the next, right?

Look, postal service, I’d like to apologize, but I won’t.  I cannot believe I haven’t shipped packages this way before and suddenly feel like the world’s biggest jerk.  All this time I believed the hype and the smoke-and-mirrors the USPS has been playing on me.  I feel like I’ve just left a dangerously one-sided relationship and wonder if the mail staff will realize that I’m not coming back to mail packages.  Not ever.

Okay, maybe when I have to mail some in the middle of the night, but it will only be in desperation.  I’m pretty adept at running away from relationships without looking back, and I have to be honest.  The guys at the UPS store?  A little young for me, but definitely worth the brief conversation. 

Anyone else need anything shipped?  I’ve got this one covered.