Thursday, September 8, 2016

WINE - SURVIVING THE FIRST DAY

The first official day back at school goes reasonably well. 

I am still recovering from the plague, so my voice, already tenuous, gives out during extended homeroom.  Thankfully I have created a word search based on my syllabus, so I will have fifteen or so minutes in every class to recover a little bit while the kiddos get a chance to work together.

My pals, teachers from another grade, bring me a big hunk of chocolate cake during my last teaching class, and I inhale it during my planning period when no one is around to watch me smear fudge frosting all over my face.  This is the high point of my day.

I only have to stay an extra hour to get everything (almost everything) done for tomorrow.  No way am I repeating last night's work-a-thon until after ten o'clock at night.  Of course, I copy the wrong worksheet, but it all works out in the end.  My co-worker and I decide to go with this worksheet anyway, which makes me really happy and extremely relieved.

The only glitch in the entire day happens before I even leave the house to go to school. 

I pack my lunch for school, and, since it's my first packed school lunch in several weeks, I try to cover all of my bases.  I bring fruit and veggies and snacks and a roast beef sandwich and way too much food because I cannot decide what I might want to eat hours later.  I do know that I need a small water for lunch.  This is easy.

Well, this should be easy.

I reach around on the top shelf of the fridge.  First, I find the tall waters.  Those are for my son's lunches.  I blindly move my hand around to find the small water bottles that I bring for lunch.  I grasp something from the shelf, pull it out, and discover...

WINE.  I have pulled out a mini bottle of wine. 

Oh, if only, if only.  Sadly, I replace the wine to the fridge, grab a water bottle, and finish putting my lunch together.  It's all right, though.  I'll drink the wine later, after I survive the first day.  IF I survive the first day.  WHEN I survive the first day (which I do).